Thread: How to learn piano?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive always wanted to learn so I've bought myself a keyboard.

Has anyone any ideas on the best way to learn? best books or online courses?

I know hiring a teacher would be best but there are none close to here :( and it would be expensive anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it really depends on what your goal is. If you want to be a concert pianist, it's scales, exercises, classical pieces and lots of $$$$$ of lessons!

If you are interested in playing for yourself and/or family and friends, you have several options. I don't know what the current stuff out there is, but these are the steps I would follow:

1. Purchase a basic piano book that emphasizes scales--major, minor and all of their cousins. You want to learn correct fingering and a bit about music theory--how chords are formed, etc. Key signatures, note values, pitch, etc. This is the basis for every thing you will do.

2. Purchase a songbook written for piano--keep it simple, but enjoyable. Again, you want to understand the process and apply what you are learning with your exercises. Don't worry about mistakes--you're learning.

3. There are several courses available that emphasize playing the piano socially. They emphasize the melody line and building chords to support it. You could start with this, but I would recommend the other two steps, then segueing into this. My philosophy is you need a basic understanding of music and harmony to be able to apply this method.

4. If you find you are very gifted, can play whatever you hear or imagine and are happy with results, ignore everything I have written and go for it! You're doing this for you and no one else!