Looking for something different to make for Christmas and you are a chocolate lover, then DCL's Double Chocolate Yule Log is just for you
Double Chocolate Yule Log
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 ounces (about 3/4 cup) chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate Mousse
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- I tablespoon light corn syrup
For chocolate sponge cake:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Spray generously with nonstick spray with flour and set aside.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl and set aside.
- Crack eggs into a large bowl. Beat eggs with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. lncrease speed to medium - high and add sugar. Beat until mixture is thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients over egg mixture and fold until just blended.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, spreading evenly to edges. Bake until cake springs back when pressed gently with your fingertips. 10 to 12 minutes.
- While cake Is still warm, slide it out of the pan, with the parchment still attached, onto a clean kitchen towel. Beginning at one narrow end, use the kitchen towel to roll the cake along with the parchment paper into a cylinder.
For chocolate ganache:
- Place chocolate in a medium heat-safe bowl, heat cream in a small saucepan until hot (do not boil).
- Pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melts.
For chocolate mousse:
- Bring a few inches of water in a small pot to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Combine chocolate and rum in a medium heat-safe bowl that can sit atop the pot of water without touching the water.
- Place the bowl on the pot and heat until chocolate is melted, stirring often. When mixture is smooth, remove from heat and set aside to cool until no longer warm to the touch.
- Whip cream at high speed to stiff peaks, about 2 minutes; do not overbeat.
- Stir 1/4 of whipped cream into chocolate to lighten. Gently fold 1/3 of remaining whipped cream into chocolate until combined but not fully incorporated and some streaks remain. Fold in remaining cream in two batches, mixing to fully incorporate when the last batch is added.
For chocolate glaze:
- Bring a small pot of water to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Combine chocolate
- and com syrup in a medium heat-safe bowl that can sit atop the pot of water without touching the water.
- Heat in bowl until chocolate melts and ingredients are well combined.
- Carefully unroll cake from the towel; remove towel. Spread 2/3 of mousse over cake surface. Roll cake back up, over the mousse, peeling off the parchment paperas you go.
- Once the cake is rolled, wrap the parchment paper around it to keep it round, place it seam side down on a platter, and refrigerate cake for about an hour, until firm.
- Remove parchment paper from cake and evenly spread remaining mousse over cake.
- Pour glaze over top; refrigerate until glaze has set, about 30 minutes, before serving.