Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Up to now I have always taken my beloved Nikon DSLR with me whenever we go to Florida...or anywhere else for that matter...however when we were in New York last year I bought a Canon Powershot A4000 IS compact camera [I bet this gets Keith`s approval ] as it was similar to the camera that our friends from LA used and I was very impressed with the shots that they had taken with theirs. [It was also offered at a good price!]
    I am still learning how to "drive" it, but I am amazed at the various features that it has for such a small camera.

My dilemma is, should I take it on our next trip and leave my Nikon behind? Will I miss not having a DSLR, having been used to one for so long?
    The main advantage in leaving my Nikon at home is that I wouldn`t have to lug around my camera bag with the additional lens, flash gun etc.etc.wherever we go.

What do you reckon?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are asking the same question that Chris does every year He's been looking for a compact to replace the one we have, but he keeps putting it off because of exactly the same reason you said.

He enjoys taking the one he has now but like you he finds it a bit of a bind with the case and being heavy, extra lens, flash etc.

The other thing he is worried about is low light pictures, he said the canon will be probably be better than a compact.

All you can do is try it, just take the compact this time and if you find you miss it then take the Nikon when you go later this year, although you must take the Nikon then :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 300280
    All you can do is try it, just take the compact this time and if you find you miss it then take the Nikon when you go later this year, although you must take the Nikon then :D
    That`s really what I thought Wendy.
    I agree that I really should not be "sans Nikon" on the cruise later in the year though.
    Oh, decisions, decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends what the large nikon does that you like :)

If you mainly keep it in auto mode for example, then we can discount the flexibility angle because the compact will do auto just as well.

If however you like the way you can blur backgrounds whilst the subject is sharp, the compact will be MUCH worse at that.

I've got some stunningly good, and expensive, compacts which quality wise would blow away most dslrs but even so, I often miss the feel and flexibility of my DSLR kit.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 300282
    If you mainly keep it in auto mode for example, then we can discount the flexibility angle because the compact will do auto just as well.

If however you like the way you can blur backgrounds whilst the subject is sharp, the compact will be MUCH worse at that.
    Yeah, although I use the "Auto" setting most of the time, I do like to use different settings for the occasional shot.
    Whether the few occasions when I really need this extra facility justifies the hassle of carrying the DSLR around with me is debatable though in my case.

I guess that by now I`ve pretty much photographed the Disney parks etc. to death, so this time I`m hoping to take fewer photos that I usually do....in theory anyhow!

Post Thanks / Like
    there is that The compacts have much smaller sensors on them too which makes them worse in low light BUT ironically gives a far greater depth of field meaning that pretty much everything in a compact camera photo will be sharp no matter what you do unlike a DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

Why not take them both?

You could always put the DSLR in the safe and if you needed it, it would be there. Course, that wouldn't do you any good if you were on an excursion and found that you needed it and it was in the safe but at least you'd have it as a security blanket.

Tom (... just thinking out loud...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you should take the new one on your next trip! Its not the last time you will be going so you can use the Nikon for your other trips if you want to, and you will still be able to take beautiful photos so you wont be missing out on capturing any memories!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 300287
    Why not take them both?
    I might just do that Tom after all....just in case.

I just fancied the freedom of being able to walk around with a camera in my pocket rather than having to lug my camera bag around with me all of the time.
    I`ve still got plenty of time to have a good old play with the compact before we leave to make sure that I can readily adjust the settings when needed.

Just one thing....I`ve noticed that it has a "fireworks" setting which I ain`t got on my Nikon. Presumably this simply raises the ISO and gives a wider aperture when it is used? [The manual doesn`t say exactly HOW things work, but just lets you know how to make the settings.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 300339
    Just one thing....I`ve noticed that it has a "fireworks" setting which I ain`t got on my Nikon. Presumably this simply raises the ISO and gives a wider aperture when it is used? [The manual doesn`t say exactly HOW things work, but just lets you know how to make the settings.]
    you'd think! but actually what they tend to do is increase the time the shutter is held open for whilst not minding that the frame is mostly black.

They will get OK shots generally but dont usually hold the shutter open long enough to get enough bursts in to allow proper creativity.

Increasing the ISO will usually give a very grainy black sky so you're often better keeping the ISO low and finding a wall to perch the camera on if possible ;-)

Something like F11/F13 8-10seconds ISO100 would give a nice burst usually. Sometimes holding the camera against your chest to steady it will give ENOUGH stability to avoid too much blurring (a little bit wont matter for fireworks) but a wall is even better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast