Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like obama or mccain

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't even get me started on a felony conviction taking away the right to vote (forever in my state). And the incredibly high incidence of blacks who are felons and can't vote. And it is a fact, that blacks tend to vote Democrat more often than not.......coincidence? I think not.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't even think about that Johnie. Excellent point! Do you know how many people don't vote because they don't want to be called up for jury duty? That was my Dad's reason for not even registering to vote..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? You know I have never been called for jury duty. I have now jinxed myself.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been called four times, selected twice...I loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would like to do it. I just wouldn't want to be on a trial where I would be sequestered though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad but true..yes.
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 38103
    I would think so. The Kennedy clan seems to have this mystique about them. They seem to have it all and then are touched by all these tragedies. Even my mom talks about when JFK was assasinated and how it affected her (she was in the 9th grade).

The Bush clan is just rich. People just don't have the same feelings for them. They aren't a dynasty, if you know what I mean.
    OMG Johnie, your mom and I are the same age. I was in 9th grade when he was assassinated too.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    You could be a year older, mom had to repeat the 6th grade. She was born in 1948.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would make your Mom a year older.

The Kennedys were once very wealthy and very powerful. Joe Kennedy (father) had the connections and the money to buy those he didn't have. He pushed hard for Joe (son) to be groomed for the presidency. When Joe died, Jack was next in line, then Bobby then Teddy. Teddy is where is started to fall apart, the Kennedy ability to buy what was needed. The tragedy of Mary Jane (not even going to attempt to spell her name) broke the Kennedy stronghold on public opinion and good grace. Teddy continued to be loved though, by his locals. He became something more powerful than a president, a powerful and long, long term senator. It's no fluke that Massachusetts is one of the most forward thinking and socially responsible states in the union.

The Bushes are common by comparison. I too apologize for offending anyone that likes that family. I still cannot rationally comment on the theft of the election at the hands of Jebbie and Katherine. :(

Kennedys are still essentially thought of as people who serve the public. That image has been tarnished over the years and we have lost our blind acceptance of all things Kennedy being synonymous with automatically elected. Courtney Kennedy was the first Kennedy to lose an election.

However, if you think the Kennedy clout is completely gone, just take a look at California. Arnie didn't get there alone.

Jack Kennedy was young, handsome and RC. He was never supposed to be elected. RC's served the Pope, remember. That he was, and that he was so charismatic AND having a wife like Jacqueline Bouvier didn't hurt, worked to capture the hearts of many, many people of my parents era/age.

I was a little kid and I cried when he died. He was the first president I remember. Mama told me I cried when he won. That I don't remember. Forever in my memory is that little girl and her tiny brother who stood there while his casket passed by. They were just peers to me, little kids who had lost their Da. They won a place in my heart forever.

When John John went down in the plane, I felt like I had lost my kid brother. My heart ached for Caroline and I wondered if she would survive.

I admired Jackie Kennedy much more than I did her husband. :) She was the epitome of class and grace. I cried when she died.

I remember Mama's response when Bobby was killed. She went to church and sat there with her rosary and sobbed and sobbed. That marked my heart forever too. I asked her once why? Was it because he would never be president? She said no, she was crying for his mother.

I never was enchanted with Ethel, but boy she could pump out the kids, eh? I had thought that Robert (son) would pick up the banner, but that hasn't happened.

Does any of that rambling cast some light on the American love affair with the Kennedys? At least some generations loved them. I believe it's passing now because there were no future generations of Kennedys to make political changes like their predecessors. I don't think the name Kennedy is immediately equated with "guaranteed" office as it once was.

It's hard to put in words. It's hard to quantify what one family did to change the face of American politics, foreign policy, fashion, social responsibility and social change. The Kennedys, love them or hate them, respect them or not, did all of that and more.

The Bushes? They'll be forgotten before the next decade.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast