Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like obama or mccain

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123703.html

Here's the link I used to view the speech (there is also text too).

I'm wading through it right now, but am not seeing anything of substance. It's a typical first speech so far. Introduction of self, family, support of running mate...nothing of real content that explains her position on anything.

Small things I noticed, the wobbling of the baby's head as he was passed from Dad to youngest daughter. Nothing huge, just noticed it. The youngest daughter "grooming" the child...makes me uncomfortable for some reason. Again, nothing of import what so ever, just little things. Willow...

The use of the word "gal" to refer to herself, a professional woman in 2008. Another moment of discomfort.

Assuring us that we have "lots of oil" makes me nervous. We should be working toward conservation... more pipelines, nuclear plants, clean coal...all before alternative sources mentioned.

American energy, by American workers... xenophobia albeit well controlled?

Disparaging opponent instead of focusing on what she and McCain will do to improve the country's situation. I'm never really comfortable with that campaign tactic, regardless who is doing it. Kerry made me pretty nervous when he did nothing but bash Bush during his speech here in Orlando.

I'm hearing sarcasm, thinly veiled fear mongering, unsupported statements...

She seems to be the exact opposite of Hillary, so it's hard for me to take what she says seriously. She does rather represent the aspects of "modern" women that give me heartburn.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link, Tink :) (hehehehe that rhymes) I *tried* so hard to stay up last night to watch it, but I had a SMASHING headache and instead took 3 Tylenol PM"s and was out like a light before nine...

I'll watch it later today when I have a few moments...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 43305
    Small things I noticed, the wobbling of the baby's head as he was passed from Dad to youngest daughter. Nothing huge, just noticed it. The youngest daughter "grooming" the child...makes me uncomfortable for some reason.
    There are already several (completely untrue, but funny none the less) rumours that Trig is actually Bristol's, and that this is her second child...

What made me most uncomfortable was the idea she was trying to plant in everyone's head... that America OWE it to McCain to make him president, just because he was a prisoner of war.

And the personal attacks, after Obama defended her earlier in the week, really struck home the "old politics" and negativity Barack has always campaigned against.

After all the dust settles, this will boil back down to McCain vs Obama. Even as nothing more than a supporter (for now), Hillary will make a much bigger impact in this election than Palin will. I expect a significant announcement in the near future about what Hillary will do if Obama gets in, allowing her to campaign publicly, so they can basically make it Obama/Biden/Hillary vs McCain/Palin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did Mark just call me a half educated fence sitter?

And since I have quite a few liberal friends here I am just going to back away from this thread and say no more

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    No PsychoAlice, you were not! You have just as much right to your opinion as anyone. Not everyone will share the same views.

Given some of the reaction to Palin's speech on other sites, there are some people out there who do come across as fitting that description, and the same can be said for some Obama supporters, eh?

This is a sharing of diverse opinion, plain and simple.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I've heard the rumor about the youngest child. It's that sort of thing that will drum up sympathy support for her (and therefore McCain). If the child weren't her's it would easily be verified. To say it isn't is malicious and has no place in a campaign.

Post Thanks / Like
    EEEESH! Sorry about the headache, Becca. The speech is over thirty minutes long, so you'll need to have some time to view it all, or simply read it (which is much faster)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoAlice, post: 43325
    Did Mark just call me a half educated fence sitter?
    Good god no - please dont think that! I was talking about indepents yet to make their mind up, who look at a statement like that and think "WTH is she on? Its been a conservative senate for ages!!"

As far as I'm aware you are a Republican - and as such, you SHOULD have been excited by her speech. She does give a sense of excitement to the party, but I just think it'll wind up being excitement for excitements sake. BUT getting the Republicans to vote this year MIGHT be the clincher - all of Obama's street cred, internet buzz etc wont mean a thing if the yougsters that support him can't be bothered to go vote on 11/4.

At the end of the day, my opinion matters a lot less than yours, as I can't vote, so please don't back away! The attacks will never be personal, just my opinions on whats in the news. And I'll never knock anyone for being Republican, or Independent - both my dad and step mom are Republican. And I certainly won't knock anyone for disagreeing with me.

I just happen to be 'pro-Obama' this year, because thats the only way I can see the war ending. And it can't be a coincidence that both Bush administrations went to war, and crippled the economy doing so - so if McCain wont stop the war, he doesnt get my support...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Mark :)

It's so easy for things to be taken the wrong way on the internet but I think we're having a good discussion! I know I'm fascinated in this election and learning a lot here.

PA dont you dare stop posting on this thread! We need, heck *I* need, to hear a range of views or I'll feel like I'm missing out :(
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MarkE!! It's great to have a clarification when there is some danger of being misunderstood!

So, Sarah! You never told me what fired you up so much! I really would like to hear your point of view.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast