Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you do When Waiting in Line for a Ride or Attraction

Post Thanks / Like
    Driving while texting is extremely dangerous and illegal.
    Using your phone while out to dinner is rude in most cases.
    Using your phone while waiting for a ride at Disney in my opinion is perfectly sensible. I have a 17 year old son and a soon to be 13 daughter who I have a great relationship with, they have no trepidations to speak to me about any topic. I spend almost all of my free time with my kids. To suggest that because I am playing games on my phone while on a line that I am somehow ignoring or neglecting my kids is very judgmental and wrong. Sorry but I had to get that off my chest.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't *get it*, It's Disney World why be playing games on your phone?

Post Thanks / Like
    To each their own :-)

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 301108
    I just don't *get it*, It's Disney World why be playing games on your phone?
    This wasn't meant to be a "get at people who use their phones to tect or play games" Esme it was a question of interest. I enjoy using my phone on holiday and at home, it was how I was able to post the photos of the New Fantasyland when the soft opening happened. I don't have children, but I do have the girls I look after and I have used my phone when we have been waiting to go into the cinema. I don't neglect them and I think it is very unfair to tar every parent or carer with the same brush.

It's a good job we aren't all the same and we should respect what other people say or do :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 300640
    Mari will probably be the one to answer that one for you

hahahahaha.... maybe!

my answer to the original question is: I try to keep my girls from making a scene

So, some ideas:

*stickers... on themselves, and yes, some adults have been decorated in the past too!!... You can find Disney sticker sheet books for about 6.95, and DVC people are always giving them away, and you can also get some at any shop you buy stuff at.. so that usually keeps them busy for a while
    *bubbles.... some lines are long, but people are not packed, so we blow bubbles, it keeps my kids and all the other kids nearby entertained, so other parents dont mind hahaha
    *I see something.... we do it in Spanish so it rhymes, I think in English it goes like I spy?? We do simple stuff... something red, something blue, a hat
    *snacks! wonderful time to give them some water, crakers, cereal, fruit, etc....
    *naps! They both went as 18mo the first time, and at that age, we would pick them up and just cover them with a light blanket and they would nap... yes, they did ride ASLEEP some of "the best" rides , but it was worth it having happy kids the rest of the day
    * question game... we do open questions for the whole family... what has been the favorite thing we have done today? (it is also great to check which rides are worth going back on) Which character did you like the most at breakfast? what did it feel like to go on the monoriel? Where do you want to go next? Which princess havent we met yet?, etc....

Last trip we ENJOYED the interactive line at the Pooh ride, Tatiana still remembers the line (the activities she did) whereas she has totally forgotten about the ride, so I think Disney is doing a good job in that department!

And some tips:

*When the park is busy, do try to take out fast passes and do a mix of things like: 1 long line, 1 no line ride (even if you dont think its the best ride), some rest time, going into a shop for a little while, 1 fastpass ride, 1 long line ride, etc.... that way they dont get tired or bored
    *Take them to the toilet BEFORE you get in line, even if they say they dont want to go, they will usually go when they are there!
    *find other kids in line!.. Last trip we had 4 kids so they kept each other busy... so we found out, when the line is 1 hour long, ANOTHER kid is THE BEST entertainment!! they played and played and played and never really got tired or bored, they were too busy being princesses and doctors and puppies and Buzz :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 301126
    This wasn't meant to be a "get at people who use their phones to tect or play games" Esme it was a question of interest. I enjoy using my phone on holiday and at home, it was how I was able to post the photos of the New Fantasyland when the soft opening happened. I don't have children, but I do have the girls I look after and I have used my phone when we have been waiting to go into the cinema. I don't neglect them and I think it is very unfair to tar every parent or carer with the same brush.

It's a good job we aren't all the same and we should respect what other people say or do :D
    I wasn't having a pop at anyone, I was just saying what I see. I never mentioned the word neglect. However I have the opinion, rightly or wrongly, but either way it is my opinion, that kids nowadays have it all on a plate and if they are bored while waiting in line, unless they have autism or aspergers etc, then maybe they shouldn't be going so often if it bores them to wait for a treat? What has to happen for them to leave their phones at home?

And yes it is a good job we aren't all the same and that's why we leave the phones behind and enjoy what is on offer there and then. I'm not disrespecting other peoples decisions but I will question them as is my right.

And without questioning I'm not learning why people use thier phones so this is good, I'm being given valid reasons for why so it's all good isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sooo much marie!!! Zac loves bubbles so will definitely be getting some of those.
    He'll have his cousins in the 2nd week to help keep him entertained.
    Thank you for all the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love looking for Hidden Mickeys!
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 301220
    I wasn't having a pop at anyone, I was just saying what I see. I never mentioned the word neglect. However I have the opinion, rightly or wrongly, but either way it is my opinion, that kids nowadays have it all on a plate and if they are bored while waiting in line, unless they have autism or aspergers etc, then maybe they shouldn't be going so often if it bores them to wait for a treat? What has to happen for them to leave their phones at home?

And yes it is a good job we aren't all the same and that's why we leave the phones behind and enjoy what is on offer there and then. I'm not disrespecting other peoples decisions but I will question them as is my right.

And without questioning I'm not learning why people use thier phones so this is good, I'm being given valid reasons for why so it's all good isn't it?
    Unfortunately, it is not your right to question someone's personal decisions. Having a discussion about something is one thing, but presenting one's own point of view as preferable to another person's, even by implication is not anyone's right. You've made your position clear, and it works for you. Other positions are just as valid and should not be subjected to repeated challenge. Using phones for entertainment is not something you value. That is your right. Questioning those of us who do use our phones for entertainment, when those "questions" come across as judgmental and fault finding, is not your right. Everyone here has their own opinions and their own ways of doing and being. We respect all ways and to suggest otherwise (repeatedly) is not conducive to anything but giving the impression of arguing.

So, when we are exercising individual "rights" remember they also come with responsibilities. Responsibility to respect one another is the priority and something that we do here, regardless of one another's personal opinions.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234