Thread: Universal and Islands of Adventure

Post Thanks / Like
    We haven't been to either of these since 2006 and Simon was desperate to ride the new minion ride so we thought we'd give it another go. You'll remember we suffered that timeshare to get the cheapy tickets :)

Our tickets gave us an hour before park opening to IoA so we headed to Harry Potter first expecting everyone to have done the same but it was really quiet, it was lovely.

[ATTACH]14307.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14308.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14309.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14310.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14311.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14312.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14313.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14314.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14315.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14316.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14317.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14318.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14319.vB[/ATTACH]

We then headed over to Universal as we didn't know what time to wait would be for the new minion ride and it was nice 9.15am.

[ATTACH]14320.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14321.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14322.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14323.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14324.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14327.vB[/ATTACH]

To be honest Universal just doesn't seem that great anymore. It'll be good to see what the new Transformers ride will be like though.

We had a second go at Minion Mayhem and a dance with the two minions and headed back over to IoA.

[ATTACH]14326.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14328.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14329.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14330.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14331.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14332.vB[/ATTACH]

Again overall IoA isn't that fantastic and I was loathed to pay extra for lockers ($4 for 30 mins) when others in HP were free, also the people dryers near Rip saw falls were $5 for a few minutes, wifi you had to pay for etc etc.

Another added expense was the Express Pass they try to get you to buy which gives you basically a fastpass access but you have to pay $34.99 per person for this luxury which i thought was awful and you can certainly tell Universal prefers them over the regular people. I just found it very annoying when you pay quite a lot to get in.

It certainly isn't Disney and I don't think we'll be going back for a good few years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't believe how dead WWOHP was! You sure lucked out there! What time did you say you were there for that?

I agree, it isn't Disney, but I enjoy the ambiance and the little touches there too. Also, since I've only been once, it's all still pretty new for me. People that have gone bunches of times might be pretty disillusioned with it all.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. -- Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like
    We had an 8am entry to IoA but I still expected it to be busier than it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well! Your lovely photos have saved me the stress of going to US/IOA! :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the photos Lisa.
    We've only ever been to WWOHP whilst sharing it with thousands of others and it's not that much fun. We're not big ride fans so we gave IoA a miss last visit BUT we love Universal Studios - Blues Brothers, Beetlejuice, parades etc. Plus there are quite a lot of attractions that I can do there without getting motion sickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you were lucky with the crowds. When we went last year it was manic. I love the photos, you have got some great shots there.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I cant believe how quiet HP was. To be honest we love US and IOA, maybe even more than WDW, so for us it will be two days staying there plus and extra day when we stay elsewhere. We are all big fans. Love your photos.

Mags

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say, i have a real soft spot for US and IoA - dont know what it is i just really love both parks. We're both ride freaks though so theres plenty there for us. What did you think of minion ride?
    Such fab photos - loved looking at them! How long did you have to wait for the Universal sign to be in the right place?!

Post Thanks / Like
    The sign comes round quite quick Kate :)

Loved the minion ride, dancing with them at the end was fun too.

I think if hubby and I were slimmer and could get our butts and hips in some of the roller coasters we may enjoy it more, was dying to do Rip Ride Rocket but no go for hubby's tummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aw what a shame you couldnt do the rip ride rocket - its a fab ride, maybe next time eh? You get videod on the ride, not sure id ever buy it, its not exactly flattering!