Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Pixie Dust request...

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, my heart aches for you and your DW. I'm truly sorry for your loss. Our pets, really our family members, become an integral part of our lives. In truth, they love us like no other. Their companionship makes us better people. I'm saddened by the hole you must feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Piglet and FD.

I really do appreciate it. And you're right FD. A pet becomes such an integral part of your life. And they're so special. What other creature says "Hey, I love you. No matter what you say or do to me, I still love you."

The hole I've got in my heart feels big enough to drive a Mack truck through.

Tom ()

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the thing... they love you no matter what. They don't care if your hair looks a sight or if you're really needing that shower and haven't been able to because you've been too poorly or if you're fat or thin or whatever... they just love you for who you are. There's nothing like a doggle love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 302219
    There's nothing like a doggle love.
    Absolutely true.

Tom ()

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to say that the hole will close up and you will be as good as new, but I'm not sure that truly happens. But maybe the hole will become smaller, so that only a Ford f150 can drive through. Unconditional love is their gift to us, which can never be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 302268
    I'd like to say that the hole will close up and you will be as good as new, but I'm not sure that truly happens. But maybe the hole will become smaller, so that only a Ford f150 can drive through. Unconditional love is their gift to us, which can never be replaced.
    Thanks FD. They say that time heals all wounds. I sincerely hope that's true.

Tom ()

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 302269
    They say that time heals all wounds. I sincerely hope that's true.
    Well, evidently time helps. A lot.

Though it's felt like forever.

A week or so ago, my DW felt like she was at a place where she could start to consider another dog as a companion for our remaining Cocker, Trudy. I wasn't too sure but I figured it would be for the best. So, she went shopping with one of the rescue organizations we know about. Shortly thereafter, my email went "ding", and there was an email from my DW. The only thing in it was a link to a picture. This one:

[ATTACH]15405.vB[/ATTACH]

My reaction was a rather subdued, "Oh, dear. I'm in trouble now."

So, we submitted the requisite paperwork to the rescue organization and made arrangements to meet the little guy the following Sunday. Well, as it turned out, this same rescue organization was doing an adoption event close to us on Saturday. This dog (they called him Pharr. I'll explain later.) wouldn't be there. But we kind of thought maybe we should go meet them on Saturday, just to maybe grease the skids a bit. At least that way, come Sunday, we wouldn't be complete strangers. The meeting went just fine and we made arrangements to actually meet him at another big adoption event scheduled for the next day (Sunday).

Of course, Sunday dawned to torrential downpours, wind, the forces of Hades and any other bad thing you can think of. Sigh. Naturally, the adoption event at the park where it was scheduled was cancelled. Long about that time, my phone rang and his foster mom asked if we'd like to meet him anyway. We agreed and all decided to meet at the same pet store we were at on Saturday. We got there at the appointed time and as we were walking in through the deluge, the doors to the store parted and there was this little guys foster mom standing there holding him in her arms. Both my DW and I were smitten immediately. He was just about the cutest thing we'd ever seen on four legs. So, after a bit of conversation and the exchange of a number of small green pieces of paper, our newest family member was placed in the back seat of our car and was on his way to his new home.

Now, I mentioned that they called him Pharr. To us, that was no name for a dog. Turns out, they got both him and his sister from a couple who had bitten off more than they could chew with two puppies. In fact, these people were such bludy fools that they hadn't even given the dogs names. So, the rescue people had named them Pharr and Phipps. The symbology of this is they were named after a shopping mall here in town, Phipps Plaza on Pharr road. Go figure.

Obviously, we didn't really think Pharr was much of a name for a dog. I mean, who names their dog after a shopping mall. Really.
    And after having him in the house for a bit, we just didn't feel that it fit him. Keep in mind that he's a youngish pup. Our veterinarian puts his age at between 7 and 9 months. So, with all that behind us, allow me to introduce you to the newest member of our family:

Meet Barney!
    [ATTACH]15410.vB[/ATTACH]

And yes, he's just as charming as he looks. Or, as the vet says, "he's got freckles!".

He's moved in, taken over, and just flat out charmed his way into our household. He's still very much a puppy and there are times when my DW and I both think that keeping up with him will probably kill us, but we wouldn't have it any other way. He's also still got some learning to do. He's not completely house broken but we're working on that and he's doing pretty good. He's also smart as a whip. Scary smart. So, I'm sure he'll get the housebreaking down pat in no time.

So, yes. Time heals. And while they'll never be another Sherman, that particular hole in my heart is starting to heal a bit. I'll always have the scar. But right now, I'm too busy with this little guy to notice quite as much.

Tom (... gotta go. He's into something he shouldn't be. Again. )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Barney! You are sooooooo cute! Good luck with training your humans. I suspect you've pretty much got them wrapped around your little paw already.

Great to meet your new buddy Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom he is adorable and I can see why you fell in love with him.

As you say, no dog will replace Sherman, but Barney will love you in his own way

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Tom!! He is beyond adorable!! Welcome Barney

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast