Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surviving Devon

Post Thanks / Like
    It's that time again. Time to visit the inlaws. They live in Devon just on the border with Cornwall. We love that part of the country. Sadly budget, or lack of it, meant that we could not afford a proper holiday this year so it was stay with the inlaws or stay at home.

Deep breath...

We left on Saturday morning not in any real rush - we had all day to get there. It's about 220 miles door to door, normally takes around 5 hours with a couple of stops.

Twenty minutes after leaving home we round the bend and in front of me is one of my favourite views in the whole world - Arundel laid out in front of me. Cathedral on the left, castle on the right, everything else in between. It really is a lovely place and I wholly recommend Arundel for a visit. And I also recommend the Black Rabbit by the river Arun for lunch - ask any local, it's famous in the area. Anyway this is Arundel castle taken through the windscreen of a car travelling downhill at approx 30 mph.

Willow travels well in the car. Usually just lays down and goes to sleep. Now and again though she'll take interest in what's going on outside her window. Note the new pink leather collar.

It starts raining at some point but we're used to that this summer. Just after Southampton we stop at the motorway services and it is packed. Never seen it this busy but then we've never done this trip during the summer break. Comfort stops done and Costa coffee acquired and we're back on the road. I'm driving this stretch. Last time I did this it poured with rain and I had to do a huge detour through Bournemouth and Poole to avoid a serious accident in the New Forest. This time it just poured with rain. BBC Solent rules the radio airwaves. They played Neil Sedaka - Laughter in the Rain and I was in hysterics and no one else got it. :rolleyes008:

We stopped again to let the boy and the dog have a wee and then, with Adrian driving again, we rejoined the traffic jam into Devon. Caravans should not be allowed on the roads at weekends. And probably weekdays too. Actually Tuesdays should be designated caravan days and that would be the only day they should be allowed on public roads. :mad:

Whizzed past Exeter services even though it was our last chance of decent coffee for nearly a week and carried on through the rain - yes it's still raining - and finally pulled into the outlaws driveway about 7 hours after we set off.

Willow said hello to Hayley, their little rescue dog and they were off like old friends. We were fed the customary bread, cold meat and cakes with no vegetable type matter for dinner. Steven was put to bed and then we all gathered in the living room for the outlaws to stare at brainless tv in silence while Adrian and myself started on the huge pile of reading matter we had bought with us to get us through these evenings of banality.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the picture of Willow, she really looks as though she's totally focused on whatever she's looking at. I think television should be banned when company arrives. Ok you may talk on the phone but if you haven't seen someone for a while, it's good to sit and catch up on everything. Good luck for the rest of the holiday :p015:

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like
    Great start Dawn. Arundel castle is stunning! Sooooooooo looking forward to reading about your little adventures :p015:

Post Thanks / Like
    I love reading your trip reports dawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwwww! look at Willow, sooo cute.

Cool photos Dawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the photo of Arundel.

What? You didnt' bring a ready supply of veggies with you?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    You are being too kind to caravans Dawn...letting them loose on the roads for a whole day?...even if it is on Tuesdays!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good start so far! Will be watching out for any signs of veg!

Post Thanks / Like
    The caravans are a pain Dawn. The weather has been horrible, which way did you come down M3, A303 and A30.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why are they such a bother? We have oodles of them here and they don't seem to be much of an issue while driving.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast