Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diets

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel really embarrassed asking this but I need help to lose some weight, for health reasons to try and relieve some of the pressure on my knees.

I've done Atkins, Tony Ferguson (shakes) and GI. My biggest problem is that I take a lot of medication and that has increased my weight a lot since I've been taking it :( There is no chance of me coming off the meds, because I've asked

Is anyone on a diet or can you recommend something good that will help me. My biggest problem is that I can't do any decent exercise because of my knees. I have a pilates reformer, but I can only do half of the exercise routine

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill be watching this to see if there are any good suggestions that I'd try too but my main issue is exercise. Sitting down all day in front of a computer just doesn't help at all
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Look up on line the Paleo diet. I actually consider it a lifestyle change. It is also sometimes referred to as the caveman diet. Basically what you eat is meat fish fruits vegetables and nuts. My husband and I paired this with Crossfit but with your knee issues I would say crossfit might not be right for you. Just put your mind to, I understand the difficulty of losing weight on certain Meds. If you need any food tips or encouragement just let me know. You CAN do this!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of the Paleo approach.

Atkins works, but as we both know it does have its side effects. Weight Watchers is a lifestyle change approach here. It's become needlessly complex though, so I can't recommend it any longer.

Fresh and lean are the buzzwords. Lean protien and everything else fresh. Grains (whole) in stead of rice and potatoes and bread. Fresh fruit, fresh vegetables...

Exercise. The bane of my existence too. Yoga? I don't know much about it but it is supposed to have some gentle stretching features. For me it's finding the time. There simply are not enough hours in the day.

Not much help, I know.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    what works for me is to eat less and exorcise more and nothing to eat after 6 pm except when i go to DISNEY

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, this is a realm I understand so well. :(

Tink, WW has become crazy. You'd think they'd realize the more complex it is the less people can stick with it. I've tried WW, but with my intestinal issues it was not a good approach for me.

I've also tried Nutrisystem. I thought, hey, if they send me the food it will take all the frustration out of dieting. I wouldn't wish that food on my worst enemy. Yuck! Not too mention the price, with the added cost of buying veggies and fruits to supplement the food.

With my busy schedule I've thought about the meal replacements like Slimfast. One time, I bought one case. I had one drink. Never again. Not sure what's in those but I thought my heart was going to explode it was beating so hard. I also got the shakes. Scared me to death. Again...never again.

What I've found to actually work is what we've always been told....eat less and do more exercise. I have to admit that I can be extreme (not healthy), but I do admit it. That being said, you actually have to eat enough calories to keep your body out of starvation mode or you wont lose anything. While I am unable to do the 5-6 small meals a day I've heard that is the best for you metabolism.

Regarding exercise, they say elliptical machines are better on the knees, but keep in mind you have to buy a better quality one for the fact to be true. Also, I would look into video related to more toning/strength training and yoga. Those are not high impact activities. That's not to say they are not difficult. Might be helpful to wear knee braces while doing any exercise.

Just to put it out there, I've tried the Insanity videos...never again either. I've tried some Zumba videos/classes too, and those are blast. Of course, I look like a person experiencing a seizure while doing it, but it's fun. :D

Oh, I just remembered there are exercise video that are based on just walking. Those are low impact, but she changes them up to keep your heart going. Might be something good to look into

My routine is lower calories (with one cheat day), and exercise 6 days a week (alternating days of cardio and strength). I change up my cardio so I don't get bored. I would love to eat fresher foods, but with my life, the frozen meal is my friend. That being said, I always have fresh veggies and fruits in the house.

Whew....

Post Thanks / Like
    The popular diet of the moment is the 5/2 diet, might be worth a look, it's about fasting for 2 days of the week. You get to eat 500 calories though so not too bad and you eat normally on the other 5 days. Health benefits as well as weight loss are indicated. There is also an evidence base for this. It's recommended by Andrew Mosely,under 4 to download on amazon. I've lost quite a bit of weight over the last couple of years but I've changed the way I eat, we've changed to brown bread, pasta, rice and cut down on sugar. I used to have sipugar in coffee and tea, I worked out if I cut this out I could lose 8lbs of weight over a year, if you use small changes like that you can make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Jaime

I haven't heard of the Paleo diet, I will have to look it up.

Billie, it is a nightmare trying to exercise it really is, the pilates is a form of yoga, it works on the inner core, I will have to contact the company and see if they can suggest any exercises for people with osteoarthritis.

I'll have a look at that one Brit, I eat brown bread, brown rice things like that and I don't take sugar in tea as I only drink either black or green tea with lemon.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive tried lots of diets over the years but the one that seems to be working for me at the moment is Slimming World.You can do it online so don't even have to go to a class.
    I've lost 22 1/2 lb in 6 weeks and it's so easy to follow.

I go to weigh in on a Tuesday and the group is very supportive and a lot of fun.

I'm hoping to have lost 4 stone before our August trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that has worked for me is a complete lifestyle change, because no diet works long term, at least not for me

I have tried in the past year to eat more REAL food... I try to limit anything that is boxed, processed, artificial..

So my diet is based on fruits and veggies, with a good amount of seeds, grains and nuts, and I only eat meat once or twice a week.

One of the books that I found most helpful (and easy to follow and understand) is: The Beauty Detox Solution, by Kimberly Snyder http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Detox-S...detox+solution I dont follow it completetly but its been a good reference guide

I wish you success in your journey!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast