Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foraging...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, perhaps you call it grocery shopping?

It felt more like foraging yesterday, as we poked here and there. The Farmer's Market visit produced some lovely tart red sorrel and other lettuces for a beautiful salad. Our organic meat person wasn't there though, so we decided to take a ride up "to the farm."

We have a local farm, Nature's Own Fresh or something along those lines. I forget their trade name as we just call it the farm. I thought of you Deb when we pulled in! They've added the sweetest little donkey to their farm. She was shy, but allowed us to admire her from a distance.

There was beautiful fresh fennel, and lovely red and gold beets, turnips of several shapes and sizes and some tender greens for sauteeing. We chose some beautiful blood oranges as well. They had goose eggs this visit, and medium chicken eggs on special so we had both! We'll be having a scramble of eggs, this morning along with a bit of our precious smoked sockeye salmon we brought back from Alaska.

There was a local chef visiting the farm and he was sharing samples of his paté. Quite nice in a country sort of way so we purchased a small portion. There was some lovely Humbolt Fog cheese to be had, and a very earthy Italian cheese this time too. Our farmer is a sophisticated person and brings in some lovely gourmet choices from time to time.

We did get the raw milk and raw cream (cow's, for both) from the health food store, and I'm really going to give butter making a go this morning.

Oh, and then just because, we ventured into downtown Orlando (you know Wendy and Keith, the scary bit quite near the photography shop!) and visited one of those huge Asian shops. We came away with all sorts of steamed buns, and seaweed, and noodles... oh and some wonderful soy sauce and oyster sauce. Edamame too. It's much less expensive there. We did have the chance to buy a durian (frozen) but we chickened out. The sign on the freezer was great though! "No exchanges, no returns, all sales final. NO COMPLAINTS!" Guess they got it all covered in that one.

So, we spent up all our grocery money buying specialty items it seems, but it sure was fun. I do like to hunt for nice food items, but not such a fan of conventional shopping.

Oh! We found lemon verbena and lemon grass too! The verbena was at the farm and the lemon grass was at the Asian shop.

Herself is slow roasting (and lightly smoking) a pork roast today in her new smoker/roaster. :D :D

Yep. It's all about food in our house. :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you had a good day :) I love wandering round farm shops, we have one that we like to go to in a regular basis and they have lots of speciality items as well. I always come away having spent a small fortune.

I won't tell Chris about the new smoker/roaster otherwise he will be dreaming of pulled pork otherwise

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a lovely day out! I used to go to our local farm shop all the time, but they suddenly put their prices of everything up and we just cant justify shopping there anymore its a shame as it wasnt just about the food but the experience of it aswell, it was so much more pleasant than a supermarket

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Kate that is so very true. The prices are not impossible (yet) but they are higher than the local shop (Publix). I'll gladly pay a farmer more though, as long as I can afford to do so.

The scrambled goose eggs with salmon were lovely. :D We had some of the Humbolt Fog on the side and toasted Moroccan bread. :D I'd forgotten to mention above that we also went to the Douce France Bakery. They make LOVELY bread!!! Very different than our Yalaha Bakery, Wendy but just as nice.

Now, I've got to tidy up the kitchen and then give the butter making a go...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a wonderful day of shopping Tink. Goose eggs, don't believe I have ever had them. Do they tasted different than chicken eggs. How was your salmon prepared? Sounds like a wonderful breakfast also, although only to me not to Donna, LOL.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, sound like a lovely day! I haven't had goose eggs for many years. We are thinking of getting a few ducks in the Spring, so maybe we can get duck eggs along with our hen's eggs! Our hens are laying really well at the moment - we're back to getting 6 eggs a day from our 8 girls, with only two of the old ladies enjoying their retirement! I love humboldt fog - we always have it when we are in Orlando. But then I love most cheeses.

Strangely enough, considering we live in the middle of the countryside, we don't really have many farm shops nearby. The ones that are there are limited in what they sell, so it is difficult to buy as much as you did at yours. But I have found a small one 45 mins away that at least does all free range meat and poultry, and some vegetables. I am looking forward to seeing how your butter comes out! I was bought a goat's cheese making kit for Christmas and I need to try that out. I love goat's cheese. Maybe if it comes out well I'll get some goat's and make it all from scratch :D

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great Debs!!! Goat cheese from your own fresh goat's milk. Can't beat that.
    The salmon was smoked, John.

We did look at the meat on the farm too, but didn't purchase anything other than the paté. I did talk to the farmer about a leg of lamb for Easter. All was going well until he mentioned that the lambs they'd be processing were "right out there."

Now, call me a hypocrite but I'm not eating something I've been petting. :(

Need to really think that vegetarian standard again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surely to make goat's cheese you will need a goat.

We have a farmer's market in town once a month that we always go to. Steven always gets a smoked mackerel from the smoker's stall. We get sossidges, and sometimes a rabbit or two. And they have a biltong stall too that I have to get a small sampling from. And Sussex Charmer cheese - a nice, strong cheese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a wonderful day, we love a farmers Market too and our first Saturday of each holiday we go to Winter Park farmers Market.

Enjoy eatiing all your lovely new bits, sounds like you'll be feasting on new things for a while to come.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    The butter is made! Quite a success too. It's an easy process, isn't it? Quite fun to show a child how simple it is to make good food. The liquid left over is so much nicer than the purchased "buttermilk" with it's thick texture and overly sour taste.

So, will sauté some of the baby bok choy we purchased yesterday in the butter with some garlic and steam it with some chicken broth. That will make a nice compliment to the pulled pork, yes? I think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast