Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Dinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mags, that sounds delicious!! I'll be "stealing" that one from you!

Well, I've set my table. I set the table on Sundays with the new linens and dishes for the week. It sets the tone and makes it nice to not to have to worry about such things (who really does? ). This week is linen with crocheted lace over top. Haviland china with a purple tiny flower pattern rimmed in gold. It will make that pulled pork taste ever so good, won't it? :D

I do like to have what the boys call "a fancy table." I like linens and have collected many over the years. I keep just two Irish linen sets (antique) for best and use the rest all the time. I don't worry if they get stained. I just collect up more as time goes on (get them at estate sales and the like, these are not costly things). I like to think I'm not contributing to land fills with disposable items... but then, these do need to be laundered, so I'll guess the impact is nearly the same.

So with your delicious roast, do you like to do your table too, Wendy or anyone else who has a proper dinner on Sunday? (Or any day of the week)?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's good to know I'm not the odd one out

I am a very traditional person, I find it strange that a lot of my friends don't bother cooking. I was taught to cook from an early age and it's something I've always done and can't imagine not doing it.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 303257

So with your delicious roast, do you like to do your table too, Wendy or anyone else who has a proper dinner on Sunday? (Or any day of the week)?
    Yes, I always set the table and even though I'm the only one who has gravy I still put a gravy bowl on the table

We eat at the table every day, we tried using trays, but it didn't feel right, it's nice to sit together and talk about what's been going on during Chris' day.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, same here. We always dine at the table unless:
    It's a pool party
    It's superbowl!

:D

Then of course we have our meal at poolside, or in the case of superbowl, in the living room...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We always have a sunday roast only have a few sundays where its something different. We go over to my mum and dads to get our weekly "good" meal
    I love a roast dinner and its so easy to do just takes time.
    Lately we've been having roast chicken during the week. My DH then takes the leftover cold chicken to work for lunch for the next couple of days.
    You are most definitely not old fashioned wendy.
    The question is do you have the right accompaniments with the right meat? For example yorkshire pud with beef, stuffing with chicken. My mum and dad do this and my DH thinks its weird and that yorkshires can be with any meat. I dont think its weird but I like yorkshires and would have them with anything lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I think Yorkshires could be with anything, but I've only had it with beef.

On the other hand, popovers are nearly Yorkshire puddings and we use them here as vehicles for cream based dishes; creamed chicken, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    We only have Yorkshire puds with beef, chicken with stuffing and cranberry sauce, pork with apple sauce and lamb with mint sauce. I'm definitely a traditional person

We used to have a mid week roast as well, but don't have it as much now. In the winter it's always a stew with dumplings on a Saturday lunch time

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent had stew and dumplings for ages - may need to do this soon.
    My mum does onion sauce with lamb as well.
    All this is making me hungry lol

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    You know? We've not had apple sauce with pork in ages. Will have to remember that one for when we have roast pork tenderloin. The boy will be VERY happy!!

I've never had mint sauce or mint jelly with lamb. We usually do it one of three ways, Mediterranean, Irish or Ehtiopian. No mint involved. What do you do with the mint sauce or jelly?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast