Thread: Since we're on a foodie theme......

Post Thanks / Like
    Three weeks ago I went to Mistley on the Essex coast for a 2 day sourdough workshop. It was a real fun two days and the food served up at the workshop was delicious. I stayed over in the hotel next door and the food there was excellent too. Our teacher Hilary teaches at Leiths and Divertimenti so she is quite an expert. I came home with a culture she started from grapes gathered in the Hudson Valley 14 years ago and have been making lots of bread ever since.Here are a few photos of the workshop, our efforts and the hotel.

Room with a view

Hotel Room

Restaurant

Our bubbling sourdough starter

At work

Sourdough Baguettes

Georgian flatbread - this was yummy - had a filling of feta, Italian hard cheese, egg and mint. It was topped with another round of dough

Cooked and sliced flatbread

Ready to bake

Italian mountain bread with spelt and potato - this was heavenly

Some of our efforts

Sourdough Brioche - we had this with butter and jam -yum

Sliced (not me BTW)

Lunch

A church used to exist between these two towers

And lastly - swans. I dont jest when I say they were everywhere. The whole village is covered in them. Even the cars slow down for them crossing the road. lol

Mags

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow! What a wonderful experience! I LOVE making bread. I'm a little iffy about sour dough as I've had some that was far too strong, but must started from grapes would be smoother.

I have a wonderful bread baking book that gives directions on how to create your own must/yeast from grapes. I've never done it, but I will one day.

Thank you for the beautiful photos!!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Mags the bread looks lovely. I used to make my own bread but I had to stop because Chris was eating too much and mainly because I couldn't knead it anymore.

Of love to go on a cookery course one day

Thank you for sharing your experience.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a lovely experience Mags. I wish I had the patience to make bread. One of my fondest memories, as a child, comes from our visits to Canada. My aunt and uncle lived out in the countryside. They had a huge wood stove in the kitchen and my aunt would be baking a loaf of bread every morning. The aroma just filled the house.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 303298
    Oh wow! What a wonderful experience! I LOVE making bread. I'm a little iffy about sour dough as I've had some that was far too strong, but must started from grapes would be smoother.
    Im not sure Tink as the flavour was quite acid when baked. Mine all seem to like sourdough though so it wont be a problem. I think I will branch out though and make some more breads that
    arent sourdough. I have made lots of different types before so I'll give it a whirl again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 303319
    Oh Mags the bread looks lovely. I used to make my own bread but I had to stop because Chris was eating too much and mainly because I couldn't knead it anymore.
    I know what you mean Wendy. I have arthritic wrists but I do tend to cheat using the dough hook on my mixer. It is therapeutic though.

Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 303329
    Looks like a lovely experience Mags. I wish I had the patience to make bread. One of my fondest memories, as a child, comes from our visits to Canada. My aunt and uncle lived out in the countryside. They had a huge wood stove in the kitchen and my aunt would be baking a loaf of bread every morning. The aroma just filled the house.
    There is nothing quite like it John. :-)

Mags