Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you reading?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 303815
    Morganville vampires is a brilliant series. Claire Danvers moves to morganville to go to college but soon finds out that the town is not a normal town. It's actually a town created by vampires and if you don't want to be drained, you need to find yourself a vampire protector and pay your taxes.... in blood! to the community blood bank. The house she moves into is haunted and her part time job is working with a mad scientist, completely unstable vampire called Myrnin who wears bunny slippers everywhere. Luckily Claire isn't to be messed with and gives as good as she gets ;-)

The brilliant thing about these books is that it's not a few random vampires, the whole town and the way it runs is carefully thought out and the characters are brilliant. Very easy to identify and like even some of the vampires :)

I'd love to see a movie made but then again, wouldn't want it ruined!

Beautiful creatures is a series of four books and the first has just been made into a movie (which is an AWFUL adaptation but an ok watch if you've not read the book). It's basically about a guy called Ethan who has been having dreams about some girl he doesnt even know for ages. Get's to school one year and there she is, Lena. Turns out she's been having the same dreams but that's not her only secret. She's a Caster (witch basically) and because of a curse put on her family centuries ago, when she reaches her 16th birthday she will become good or evil and so the curse goes, she wont have any choice. Ethan wants to try and save her from going Dark but pretty soon the whole town has turned against Lena.

agreed on both counts

I like the IDEA of Terry Pratchet but I've never managed to get through a book :( I talk enthusiastically with people about the concepts but I guess it's his writing which I find messy.

Stephen King used to be my goto author but then he started churning out utter rubbish. I have a theory that he started thinking "how would this work as a movie" and as often happens, forgot how to make the suspense work in written form. If you're saying he's got better again I may well go read some later ones! :D
    Yes he got very weird but his last two, those ones I mentioned were very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    11/22:63 is an amazing book by Stephen King. Not scary at all which is why I don't normally like him

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 303895
    11/22:63 is an amazing book by Stephen King. Not scary at all which is why I don't normally like him
    Ah yes that's the one... a very good read.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're into YA series (which is awesome, good to know I'm not the only adult who is), the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series was better than I thought it would be. Only the first 2 books are out thusfar, and I was expecting it to be all Twilight-y and it wasn't really. Also, I'm obsessed with the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series. The Percy Jackson series has 5 books, and there is sort of a sequel-y series that is Heroes of Olympus of which 3 books are currently out. Good characters, interesting plot, and mythology (which I love.)

What did you think of Beautiful Creatures? I'm interested, but I haven't read it yet and I'm hearing mixed reviews.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. -- Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Faythstar, post: 304117
    What did you think of Beautiful Creatures? I'm interested, but I haven't read it yet and I'm hearing mixed reviews.
    I thought the books were awesome! really enjoyed them but the movie just wasn't a good adaptation. Or at least, it wasn't at all faithful, in any way, lacking characters that were in the book, changing others etc.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent you a pm Keith but I don't think you get them as before in the past I've sent them and you don't seem to be receiving them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12