Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dollar rate

Post Thanks / Like
    just looked at how bad the pound rate is right now not even 1.5 dollars to the pound does anyone know if it'll go up or should I buy now

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately with the way the economy is at the moment, no-one really knows what will happen There is a chance it could drop a little further but then again it might rise, if you are worried about it dropping further, then you could take the chance and buy now, but then if it does rise you will kick yourself.

The other thing is with all the cost saving that has come into force in the US, the dollar may weaken in the coming months which will be good for people visiting, but no so good for our friends in the US.

My husband always says that for the amount of money we take with us the odd 10 cents here or there doesn't really make that much difference, but I must admit I will wait until hopefully it rises above $1.50 again.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 303804
    for the amount of money we take with us the odd 10 cents here or there doesn't really make that much difference, but I must admit I will wait until hopefully it rises above $1.50 again.
    In truth, I think that's what we have to remember. It's depressing when it's so low but realistically for $1000 or something it doesn't matter enough to worry about

From the US side, we need to see what happens with budgets as always. From the UK side, we need to see if the bank increases interest rates and if they increase quantitive easing measures. If interest rates go up, that may well strengthen the but the bank putting lots more money into the economy will lower it. Soooooo REALLY could go either way right now ;(
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't see them raising interest rates it's a double edged sword, weren't they talking about negative rates a while ago

Agree about more QE that will not be good

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 303826
    I can't see them raising interest rates it's a double edged sword, weren't they talking about negative rates a while ago
    Very definitely a double edged sword but I'm not sure they can avoid it for long tbh.

Agree about more QE that will not be good
    yeah I think they're talking about this next week?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the dollar was higher you'd be paying more somewhere else to be sure, I'd rather it be on luxuries like holidays rather than essentials like mortgage payments that's for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, unless you intend spending LOADS of money "over there", a few cents up and down makes little difference [that said, I do recall the rate being over $2 to the GBP many years ago, and boy were things cheap in the US to us Brits then. ]

I`m just glad that we opened a US bank account when we bought our villa because as soon as we step off the plane now we think in dollars, irrespective of the exchange rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 303877
    I`m just glad that we opened a US bank account when we bought our villa because as soon as we step off the plane now we think in dollars, irrespective of the exchange rate.
    yeah that's a trick I'm still missing. Mainly because they charge for bank accounts generally :/ but I really do need to get one opened

Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to buy some soon and then get some more closer to the time. That way if it goes up or down it wont matter too much. Hoping it goes up but doubt that will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 303878
    Mainly because they charge for bank accounts generally :/ but I really do need to get one opened
    Keith, so long as I keep a minimum amount in my account [not quite sure how much, but it ain`t a fortune ], I don`t get any charges.
    It sure is worth considering if you are a regular visitor to the States.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast