Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TSA to Allow Small Knives in Carry on Luggage on Flights

Post Thanks / Like
    Stupid idiots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Madness. :( So I can't have my perfume or make-up but knives are okay?! There's no logical reason for needing a knife on a plane journey.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it's because liquids can be made into bombs or hold other nasty ingredients

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 304269
    I guess it's because liquids can be made into bombs or hold other nasty ingredients
    and a 6 cm blade could do quite a lot of damage, i can't see transatlantic flights landing/taking off in the UK allowing this

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like a short blade would be just as dangerous as a box cutter.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 304271
    and a 6 cm blade could do quite a lot of damage, i can't see transatlantic flights landing/taking off in the UK allowing this
    I completely agree, the TSA haven't thought this through properly at all, I just meant that it's possibly why fluids aren't allowed yet

I for one will not be happy about the knives or sports equipment being allowed on flights, just think of the damage a golf club can do

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 304271
    According to the piece on the television, the TSA said they are trying to match the safety protocols in other places (I am guessing they were referring to Europe and Asia?) They say they want to focus their attention to things that can bring down a plane (explosives).

I personally think it is a dumb idea. Suebeattie, you would be surprised at the number of GUNS that people try to sneak on planes or "forgot" to remove from their carry on. I had two "knives" confiscated as I had a tiny maybe 2" LLBean swiss army knife on my keys (the keys were actually bigger than the length of the knife). So I guess it can happen. There showed bins of conviscated knifes and a huge collection of guns that were confiscated on the television. Weird world man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 304299
    According to the piece on the television, the TSA said they are trying to match the safety protocols in other places (I am guessing they were referring to Europe and Asia?) They say they want to focus their attention to things that can bring down a plane (explosives).

I personally think it is a dumb idea. Suebeattie, you would be surprised at the number of GUNS that people try to sneak on planes or "forgot" to remove from their carry on. I had two "knives" confiscated as I had a tiny maybe 2" LLBean swiss army knife on my keys (the keys were actually bigger than the length of the knife). So I guess it can happen. There showed bins of conviscated knifes and a huge collection of guns that were confiscated on the television. Weird world man!
    I can just imagine the conversation "sorry officer I didnt realise that gun was on me" lol. I just find it bizarre that they think this is a good idea.
    You have to wonder about the people who make these decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 304299
    I think you'll find that we've had the same restrictions (apart from liquids) for a long time due to the threat of terrorist attack. They would also apply to any airline operating into or out of the UK. I don't know how they would separate screening for domestic and international flights as its all mixed now isn't it? If we are planning to relax the rules over here I will be firing off some letters!

Imagine One of the flight crew has his family on board the plane, terrorist threatens to kill a member unless he opens the cockpit door.

Not having a go at you Dan, just concerned that's all

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this, I hope someone stands up and stops this silly decision:

The head of Delta Air Lines on Friday joined the growing opposition to the Transportation Security Administration’s new policy allowing passengers to carry small knives onto planes.

Delta CEO Richard Anderson said in a letter to TSA Administrator John Pistole that he shares the “legitimate concerns” of the airline’s flight attendants about the new policy.

Allowing small knives to be carried on board after a ban of more than 11 years “will add little value to the customer security process flow in relation to the additional risk for our cabin staff and customers,” Anderson said in the letter, which was obtained by The Associated Press.

“If the purpose is to increase security checkpoint flow, there are much more effective steps we can take together to streamline the security checkpoints with risk-based screening mechanisms,” he said.

Delta, based in Atlanta, is the world’s second-largest airline. It is the first major airline to join not only flight attendants but pilots, federal air marshals and insurance companies in a burgeoning backlash to the policy. Pistole announced the policy on Tuesday.

TSA spokesman David Castelveter declined to comment on the letter. He said TSA plans to implement the policy on April 25 as scheduled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast