Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if anyone else's insurance quote has gone "weird" this year!?

I've been with direct line for 10 years with all different types of car for the family from fiestas through to bmw 7s and jag xj. They've always done the usual scam of new customers getting a great price and it being higher for renewals sigh but you know, it was never THAT bad. Perhaps 30-50 quid better as a new customer and the renewals were always within a few quid of other companies.

This year, I got my "your policy will renew if you do nothing" letter for 600. Now it's for a brand new jag so in and of itself I didn't think much about it until I tried compare the market and LOADS of quotes came in for 300! Fully half of my renewal quote! The cheapest being morethan at 274.

I asked directline who said they were unable to come anywhere close. I made sure the policy was exactly the same (or as close as possible) and even had other people try their car and everyone who was with directline was getting way better quotes from going elsewhere.

I don't really know what's happened with directline. I've always liked them (as much as one can like an insurance company) and they've always been good but this year they are completely out of sync with the others.

Or... have the others just dropped prices for men's car insurance as people said would happen with this new equality law stuff?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been with more than for a few years now as no one else could beat them with DD 19 on my insurance.
    I've just changed from a 1.6 2002 Focus Zetec to a 1.0 2013 Corsa Ecoflex and more than reduced the price so I am paying 53 odd for me and DD.
    Most other companies wanted 70-80 a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyblonde, post: 304579
    We've been with more than for a few years now as no one else could beat them with DD 19 on my insurance.
    I've just changed from a 1.6 2002 Focus Zetec to a 1.0 2013 Corsa Ecoflex and more than reduced the price so I am paying 53 odd for me and DD.
    Most other companies wanted 70-80 a month.
    I was amazed! I mean I dont know how good they are if I had to claim, I guess thats the real test, but of course I hope I never have to find out!

Definitely pays to shop around at the moment though. Prices seem all over the place

Post Thanks / Like
    We play the same game each year, the renewal comes in, I shop around call Liverpool and Victoria and they match the price

I think men's insurance has come down a bit, but I think they have increased women's insurance to meet it in the middle

The other thing our friends found out and this might help people who's children have cars, if they add you to their policy (it doesn't matter if you have you own already) then their premium will come down slightly. Our friend's son did this and added his mum and dad as additional drivers and he saved nearly 200. It's not much but it helps

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 304580
    Definitely pays to shop around at the moment though. Prices seem all over the place
    Couldn`t agree more Keith.
    For many years I took out my car and house/contents insurance with a local broker who took care of the various insurances at my company as I knew that he would see me right.
    Later he sold his business to a larger outfit, but for old times sake I just carried on paying the premiums when they became due, and it was only a couple of years ago that I did some research at compare the market [or should that be meerkat? ].
    I was amazed at how much I could potentially save and so ever since, Swinton Insurance have had all of my insurance business. I like dealing with them mainly because they have a branch office in my local town and they forward a cash back cheque on all of their policies 90 days or so after the start date. [I know that I probably pay for this anyhow, but it`s nice to get some cheques coming in out of the blue!]

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Direct Line and I'm having bit of hassle because 6 months ago some woman touched my car with her car and now has made a claim for whiplash injuries. I've told them I will not accept it because we were basically at a standstill when it happened so now I have to go through vehicle inspections and such.

Saying that though, when any insurance renewals come up we shop around now. Managed to half Willow's insurance premium on like for like cover this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I told my insurance company that I had left work to go back to University they refused to cover me so I had to look for another company. It was 100 more a year, I don't understand how I'm suddenly uninsurable. The company wanted to charge me 50 to cancel the policy too. A little threat of watchdog soon stopped that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem with Direct Line a few years ago. We were hit from behind and it took almost 3 years to sort out :mad:

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you manage to get anything sorted out Keith

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 304838
    Did you manage to get anything sorted out Keith
    yeah I just swapped to morethan! I mean, hard to tell how good any of them are until you need them and then it's too late but I can't ignore 274 morethan v 604 directline for the same policy!

(that was with direct line multi car and home discounts too!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast