Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Different Types of Fish

Post Thanks / Like
    Whenever we go to a restaurant I always tend to have steak, sometimes chicken and on some occasions salmon.

I often see other types of fish on the menus, but as I've never tried them I'm always worried that it will be too strong or have lots of bones.

Can you suggest a fish that I could try, I don't like a strong tasting fish that smells fishy I know it sounds silly as all fish smells but possibly something tasty and mild.

I can't eat anything with crab in it as I'm allergic to crab.

Any ideas

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good fish should not taste fishy, or smell strongly of fish.

I like a very mild fish with no "fish" taste what so ever. I like: Cod (Atlantic), halibut, haddock, rainbow (river) trout, and some soles. I like Chilean sea bass, but feel guilty eating it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 304706
    Whenever we go to a restaurant I always tend to have steak, sometimes chicken and on some occasions salmon.
    me too

Can you suggest a fish that I could try, I don't like a strong tasting fish that smells fishy I know it sounds silly as all fish smells but possibly something tasty and mild.
    I was always told if it smells fishy, it's off or at the least, not fresh.

I like fresh trout, salmon, cod and at V&A last time I tried Grouper! and to my amazement I liked that too
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wendy the only fish I've ever had with bones in it are certain cuts of Salmon and whole trout. Almost all of the fish served at WDW is fileted. I'm not a big fan of trout, but I will eat it if cooked properly and I'll eat the fish that Tink mentioned. I used to love sword fish but I'm not so big on it any more. I LOVE fresh tuna, seared or raw.

It is hard to beat a piece of wild caught Alaskan Halibut.

Tink, what is it about Chilean Sea Bass that makes you feel guilty?

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    The fishing practices, John. Same reason I rarely eat tuna any more and why I won't eat swordfish. Also, swordfish is very high in mercury as are some types of tuna.

I will not eat catfish. Ick, ick, ick!

Oh, I like smelts too, but only if they are caught fresh (and by someone I know) so I rarely eat those any longer.

I tried to like grouper, but I just can't manage to do it.

I like shellfish and other crustaceans, crab, also squid, octopus, those sorts of things. It's just the fin fish that I have problems with.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 304707
    Good fish should not taste fishy, or smell strongly of fish.
    I agree. I like 'meaty' fish. Try tuna, grouper, swordfish, monkfish.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks, I often see Grouper on menus, is that a white fillet fish

Do you only eat fish from certain places or is most fish frozen anyway. What I mean is, would you eat fish at say the Olive Garden or a steak restaurant

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will only eat fish from restaurants that specialize in fish for the most part. However, having said that I've had incredibly delicious rainbow trout at Longhorn and at another steakhouse in Cerritos, CA (when I have to go there for work).

BlueZoo would be a good place to order fish, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    About the only "fish" that I order at Olive Garden are Calamari and shrimp. I have ordered fish at YSH before, but generally do not go into a steakhouse with the intent of ordering fish.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Shrimp is something I'm very careful about ordering out. It's all too often unbearably mushy, or in the case of Jiko horribly overcooked and chewy.

All seafood needs a delicate hand at cooking, but some places do it better than others. I think some steakhouses specialize in a fish dish to lure those who don't care for red meat or beef. If they do a nice fish, then the non-beef eater is more likely to be willing to dine there.

Not sure about all of that, of course but it sounds plausible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast