Thread: Dave Ramsey or other get out of debt ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    As you know, I changed jobs last September. I took a big pay cut. I AM much happier than I was with the state. I like my job, the freedom and flexibility. However, I seem to be living in the manner of the old pay rate. This is not good. I was looking at ways to get my spending in check. I know tons of people who swear by Dave Ramsey. My grandma always used the envelope system for money. I think I may start doing that. I am much more cognizant of money when I actually see what I have. I am far too dependent on just swiping my debit card and not worrying about it.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who's Dave Ramsey?

Post Thanks / Like
    He's a big financial guru in the US.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    he sounds a bit like Martin Lewis of money saving expert fame here. His mantra is something like only buy something if you need it. I find writing everything down in a notebook keeps me in check!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall my parents doing the "envelope budget" with us when we were teenagers. It was very visual.

Jon and I have a budget, and most of the time it serves us well. One of the things I have personally found REALLY helpful is that we now actually have vacation money in our budget. Each month we have a percentage of income that goes directly into a separate account, we never see it, and we don't touch it until we're ready to book a holiday. It's not a TON of money, but it makes me happy to see it going into the account and it gives us a bit of motivation to add to it when we can.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not good about writing things down. I have tried to do that eleventy billion times with food and then I just give up.

I used to put my vacation money into my ing account then they sent me a debit card. Ugh!

I think I may try the envelopes. Or just going cash only may work. At least I will see where it is going.

Oh! And fingers crossed my boss is pitching for me to become a 40 hour employee. Currently at 30 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 306341
    I'm not good about writing things down. I have tried to do that eleventy billion times with food and then I just give up.

I used to put my vacation money into my ing account then they sent me a debit card. Ugh!

I think I may try the envelopes. Or just going cash only may work. At least I will see where it is going.

Oh! And fingers crossed my boss is pitching for me to become a 40 hour employee. Currently at 30 hours.
    Well that would be good! And going to a cash only lifestyle is certainly not a bad thing...it can be really successful and again, very visual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Ramsey? Meh. Maybe.

Susie Orman is much more realistic and honest as far as I'm concerned. Have a look at her thoughts and processes. She has a program on too.

You must know where your money is going before you can make changes. I don't know any other way of tracking your money other than writing it down. If you only and always use a debit card, then the statement has written it down for you.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Suze Orman, I get Oprah magazine and she has a monthly column in there

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll look into her too.