Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your best Disney fact or "secret"

Post Thanks / Like
    I just learned this one from my niece working at Ohana...

One of the new Tinkerbells that flies before Wishes..........

.....is a GUY!

"Always take a banana to a party." :banana1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the hearse one! And I've never heard that so it IS a secret to me :-)

Awesome facts about Liberty Square

As for the "tinkerbills" we were told a few years ago on the Keys to the Kingdom tour that there used to be men who played Tinkerbell but since everyone has a zoom lens they are now only women. Interesting

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh goodness, I'm writing my own guidebook (not to be published, just for me and my family) about this stuff so I have PAGES of things! I'll share some of my favorites in several posts as a by-park basis. (You guys really opened up a can of worms with this question, lol)
    MAGIC KINGDOM

Does anyone know the "backstory" to the Main Street Emporium?
    The large store, which encompasses an entire city block, started off as a small corner store in 1863. According to etchings on the windows, it was founded by Osh Popham (a character played by Burl Ives and the 1963 Disney film Summer Magic). As the story goes, Popham moved to Main Street from New England after the movie took place. Popham was a natural salesman, and Nancy Carey (Haley Mills’ character from the movie) even ran a hat shop across the street for a little while. The store started out as a sort of general store, and grew to include products from all over the world. In 1901, the Emporium doubled its selling space in a massive expansion. (1901 is the year of Walt’s birth; Disney actually did expand the store in 2001, 100 years later.) If you’re being observant, you can clearly tell which part of the store is “older”, and which part is “newer”. In the newest section, above the doors, there is a hand-painted mural that was created to mark the completion of the expansion (in the backstory and real life). The faces in the mural are actually those of the Imagineers who worked on the expansion.

The Swiss Family Treehouse is its own species. A Disneyodendron eximuos or "out-of-the-ordinary Disney tree". :)

There is a tie between Columbia Harbour House and the Haunted Mansion. There are fishing spears hanging from the beams over the area where you place your order. Look for the same spear in the hands of the sea captain at the Haunted Mansion. You will see his portrait as you exit the stretching room.

(I actually have a TON of stuff about Liberty Square/Haunted Mansion. Message me if you're interested. It would be impossible to post everything I learned on here I think.)

The raven was supposed to be the original narrator for the Haunted Mansion, not the Ghost Host. You can see it pop up a few times throughout the ride, mostly in places where there is narration.

Cinderella’s Royal Table was originally called King Stefan’s Banquet Hall. However, the idea of Aurora’s father having a room at Cinderella’s castle raised some eyebrows, so it was renamed in 1997.

Until 2010, the Prince Charming Regal Carrousel was known as Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel. The backstory released to explain the name change is that after Cinderella and the prince were married, and the kingdom was at peace, the prince decided to start practicing for jousting tournaments. He built a training device in the countryside on which to practice ring-spearing. This eventually came to be known as “carrousel”. The carrousel device drew the attention of the villagers, who all wanted to take a turn on the prince’s spinning contraption. The prince had a second carrousel constructed nearer to the castle, so all the townspeople could use it.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. -- Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like
    EPCOT

In Spaceship Earth in Epcot, there are two figures that are the same as those in the Hall of Presidents: the sleeping monk is the likeness of Woodrow Wilson & the large bald slave in the Egyptian scene is the likeness of William Taft.

The pathways in China narrow to help create the feeling of crowded streets and lots of people.

When they were asked to join the World Showcase, the king of Morocco was so excited and thrilled that they had been asked, he sent his own men over to build it and totally paid for the construction. It did not cost Disney anything to build.

The Tea Caddy in the UK is modeled after William Shakespeare’s home.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

Somewhere in Hollywood Studios, over a real estate façade door, is a sign that reads “office space for rent”. This is to commemorate the office Walt and Roy Disney used as the first official Disney Bros. Studios. It was also over a real estate office.

The façade at Mickey’s of Hollywood is modeled after Frederick’s of Hollywood.

All the pictures in the Brown Derby that are in BLACK frames are copies of the originals. All the pictures in the GOLD frames are the originals from the original Brown Derby, which no longer exists.

(I have a ton of stuff on the Great Movie Ride too, but I'll post some of my favorites.)

The car depicted in the shoot-out has a license plate that reads “021-429”, which is the date of the Valentine’s Day Massacre (February 14, 1929).

Why is James Cagney wearing a suit? He didn’t in Public Enemy, the movie showcased in the Great Movie Ride. He should have been wearing tattered clothes, but his family donated the suit so he could look more respectable.

The plane in the Casablanca scene was a Lockheed purchased specifically for that scene. The rear half is in the Jungle Cruise ride at Magic Kingdom.

The reason it is so windy in the Fantasia scene is that it was originally going to be the tornado scene from The Wizard of Oz, but the effect that creates the tornado was copyrighted. In order to avoid having to pay copyright fees to recreate it, Disney opted to use one of their movies instead.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. -- Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like
    Animal Kingdom

In 1997, Michael Eisner invited Jane Goodall to come see construction of Animal Kingdom, in particular the Tree of Life. He asked her what she thought about all the animals being carved in the tree and asked, "Where is the chimpanzee going?" After conferring with Zsolt Hormay (chief sculptor), it was discovered much to ME's embarrassment that one was not included in the over 300 animals. ME told Miss Goodall to pick a place on the tree and one would be sculpted. She chose the entrance outside of It’s Tough To Be A Bug so everyone would be able to see David Greybeard; the first chimp she ever observed. You will notice he is more detailed than the other animals--multicolored (grey beard), and there is a plaque next to his image describing him.

The backstory of DinoLand U.S.A.: Originally known as Diggs County, DinoLand used to be just another ramshackle small town. The area consisted of farmland, an old fishing lodge, and a shabby gas station owned and operated by two individuals named Chester and Hester. In 1947, some amateur paleontologists uncovered some dinosaur bones in the area. Soon, scientists and researchers were flocking to the site. The findings were so considerable that The Dino Institute was founded. The Institute acquired all surrounding land, except the gas station (Hester and Chester wouldn’t sell), and set up shop in the old fishing lodge. Over time, the Institute gained notoriety and funding, and began arbitrarily adding onto the lodge. Chester and Hester, sensing a potential money-making venture, turned their service station into a souvenir store, and put up signs all along the highway to bring tourists to their shop. As the Dino Institute grew, it became clear that the haphazard fishing lodge was no longer cutting it as a base of operations. A new, more modern building was erected and filled with expensive equipment for the scientists to use in their research. Soon, the booming institute made a world-famous discovery: time travel. They began offering time travelling tours as a way to pay for their expenses. (You too can take the tour in the “Dinosaur” ride.) The old fishing lodge was converted into a cafeteria and lounge for the grad students and interns assisting the Institute scientists. It is these young pranksters that are responsible for adding “--osaurus” to the end of all the area’s signs (including the lodge itself, Restaurantosaurus). In order to keep up with the business the time travel tours were getting, Chester and Hester set up a carnival and midway section across from their gas station. “Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama” is advertised for miles down the highway.

Miscellany

Haunted Mansion & Tower of Terror will post “13” minutes as the wait time, when the wait is really less than 10 minutes. They are the only 2 attractions to post a wait time that is not a multiple of 5. The “13” is meant to be an extension of the spooky theme on these rides.

The original design for the resorts around The 7 Seas Lagoon were to mirror the lands in the Magic Kingdom

• Polynesian - Adventureland
    • Wilderness lodge and Fort Wilderness - Frontierland
    • Contemporary - Tomorrowland
    • Grand Floridian - Main Street

The resorts for Fantasyland and Liberty Square were never built - or not yet anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!! That was fantastic!!!!!

Well done, Faythstar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, thank you. My Disnerd is showing. >.<

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow so much learnt from your posts. How do you find this stuff out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh goodness. Hours and hours of reasearch. Haha. Combing this site, and other "Disney Secret" posts on other messageboards, the official Disney Parks blog, various Tumblrs, and other various websites. All kinds of places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Faythstar, post: 308474
    Oh goodness. Hours and hours of reasearch. Haha. Combing this site, and other "Disney Secret" posts on other messageboards, the official Disney Parks blog, various Tumblrs, and other various websites. All kinds of places.
    Wow!!!! I think if we ever got to the point where we were visiting more often then I would probably do the same. This time round im looking out for things that we would normally miss just to make it a bit different.
    Its amazing how much thought and detail go into the parks and which are probably missed by most the people that visit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast