Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sign Language Interpreters

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt see this post, but sorry if it is a duplicate. After visiting WDW with a deaf friend we got to see the interpreters at many shows/attractions. for those who did not know, WDW has a schedule, different days they are in different parks. there is also a set time they are at each show. For hearing disabled a schedule can be obtained about 2 weeks before you arrive so you know what park the interpreters are in. For those who just happen to catch a show, take a look at them. they are amazing. for the afternoon parades they stand across from HALL OF PRESIDENTS at the corner. these are some very talented people. there interpretation of the shows and attractions and parades are so amazing, even someone who does not know sign language will understand a lot of what is being interpreted. a quick look...check you tube for a few clips of the interpreters. i check them out now every time i go to WDW...

ps it has helped my personal skills too
    SusanM šoš A REAL MOUSE JUNKIE

Aug 1994 - off site
    Caribbean Beach - 8/95
    All Star Music - 4/19- 12/97 -9/98 - 4/99 - 2/00 - 2/03 4/04 - 7/12
    All Star Sports - 12/96 - 12/97 - 9/00
    Downtown Disney Resort Travelodge - 4/97
    Coronado Springs - 6/98
    All Star Movies - 9/99 - 11/99 - 7/01 - 10/01- 11/02
    Pop Century - 10/01 -- 06/04--05/05 - 8/11
    Port Orleans Riverside - 7/02
    All Star Sports - 10/03-- 11/06

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ashamed to say I have never seen them

I am always amazed by people that can sign, it's a fantastic thing to be able to do, I will keep an eye out for them when we are there later this year.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best part of the Christmas Show in EPCOT is watching the ASL interpreters. (Candlelight Processional).

Interpreters must go to school, and learn to sign at a specific rate before they are certified. They are in high demand, and are quite difficult to locate for a small business who needs to use one (as I know from personal experience). I sign, and can therefore communicate with my staff that communicate in that manner, but I cannot sign and talk at the same time. So, when I conduct meetings or educational trainings, I prefer to use an interpreter. It's nearly impossible to book one.

ASL is a complex language with its own grammar and syntax. There is a different language for signing in each country. The interpreters at WDW are signing in American Sign Language, which differs from British Sign Language, Spanish Sign, Brazilian sign... you get the idea.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a deaf person in our office. When we have scheduled meetings, as long as he knows enough in advance, he can normally find an interpreter. It is the impromptu meetings that cause problems. Fortunately he can normally read lips from up close so one of us can get the gist of the message across to him.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my "bucket list" items...I've always wanted to learn to sign...I find it to be a beautiful language.

Aside from the CP, as Tink mentioned, I don't think I've ever noticed an interpreter at Disney...I shall have to go take a peek at YouTube! Thanks for the information, Susan!

Post Thanks / Like
    if you see a clip on youtube from semiltimo that was mine from last summer... i have been signing for years.. i can communicate with all the deaf people i work with and have become , over the years, friends with them outside of work. ASL takes a long time ... learning the words is easy...but i have finally got the hang of it.. i originally wanted to be an interpreter for disney...and was willing to take (very very expensive) the RID (REGISTRY OF INTERPRETERS) test...but now you must have a bachelors degree before you can take the test...and at 60 yrs old i am just to old to go back full time to college... but hoping some day i can work in guest services...that i could use the skill i have..

ps after visiting 2x with a deaf friend i wrote to MARK JONES who is the head of the dept and suggested maybe to have an interpreter at guest services when the park opens...so the deaf can make dining arrangements, ask questions, get schedules etc. i noticed they now do that... WAY TO GO MARK AND DISNEY FOR PAYING ATTENTION TO THE GUESTS..
    SusanM šoš A REAL MOUSE JUNKIE

Aug 1994 - off site
    Caribbean Beach - 8/95
    All Star Music - 4/19- 12/97 -9/98 - 4/99 - 2/00 - 2/03 4/04 - 7/12
    All Star Sports - 12/96 - 12/97 - 9/00
    Downtown Disney Resort Travelodge - 4/97
    Coronado Springs - 6/98
    All Star Movies - 9/99 - 11/99 - 7/01 - 10/01- 11/02
    Pop Century - 10/01 -- 06/04--05/05 - 8/11
    Port Orleans Riverside - 7/02
    All Star Sports - 10/03-- 11/06

Post Thanks / Like
    We 'followed' the interpreters round in December at animal kingdom, they were amazing and out so much effort in, I really enjoyed watching them. I would love to learn to sign too, one day!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its not the same but my son loves watching justin fletcher and mr tumble - he does a 15 mimute show on cbeebies which has signing in it. It fasinates me and sits there waving and absorbing it all.
    My nephew loves watching it too and knows loads of signs from it and to be honest I sit there copying the signs as well lol.
    Apparently babies can learn signs alot quicker than actual words. I wish I had done baby sign classes with zac.
    It is very fasinating how people adapt and learn to communicate in other ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ava just loves Mr Tumble! He does makaton rather than sign language - which is what they do at baby signing. It's much more practical and realistic. I did baby signing with Ben and also used it with Ava, it's really good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Our preschool level students learn basic signing - it changes to French or Spanish as they move ahead in school...but they pick it up SO quickly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast