Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, that'd be a long flight...

Post Thanks / Like
    Cruising Alaska is nice, just be certain to do it with a good cruise line.

My sister and her husband visited Alaska but not on a cruise. They had a wonderful time too. All but for the bit where the moose chased my sister.

John, you will love the seafood in Alaska. Those pristine waters do really make a difference. It was hard to choose between the halibut and crab! (So mostly we didn't. We ate one for lunch and one for dinner). :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    First off I am so saddened to hear about that poor man's prognosis. Very sad.

Ketchikan is a beautiful place. Alaska is a treasure that I feel all must see. I have the feeling that it takes a special breed to flourish there. The weird seasons can be a test. Nothing like waking up at 3 in the morning to a bright sky! Not to mention only having around 6 - 8 hours of daylight in the winter.

I think you might get "island fever" of sorts as the road system in that part of AK consists of little strips of road (maybe about 15 miles in total near Ketchikan) with a great ferry system. I can see why AK leads the nation in number of private pilots. You kind of need to fly to get anywhere.

Loved a T shirt I saw when taking classes at the U of A at Anchorage.....It was a bust on Texas...something like if you were to split AK in half each piece would STILL be larger than TX!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a terrible illness for him, 'Skip. For anyone.

You are very right. Being in love with a place on an idyllic visit is one thing. Weathering the trials and tribs of the actual living experience is another.

But then, I'd love to learn to fly. :D

I've lived on an island before and you are right; you do get "stir crazy" after a bit just knowing you can't go any further than "there."

Like the dream though... regardless of how unrealistic.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's beautiful to dream :-)

A visit would be nice but I would never be able to deal with the daylight/lack of daylight and the feeling if being trapped somewhere

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have to experience the lack of daylight to see, but I do remember the constant grayness of Central NY in the Winter. I never realized how much it truly affected me until we moved to Florida and the nearly constant sunshine.

I'd like to experience one winter there... but I like to experience new things. I like change.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's that song lyric? Change will do you good :-)

I think I have a touch of SAD. Winter just about kills me now.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like change, too :) my grandpa used to tell me I had "wanderlust" ;) you don't hear that word very often, but I do believe it fits me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the term wanderlust. I think I have that. At least in regards to travel. I do like coming home to recharge (usually)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    My parents are on their way to Alaska on a cruise right now. They arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Cheers, Karen
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh nice! What cruise line are they sailing with? They are going to have a great time. It's a little early for Alaska, but we went a little late and other than having to turn around in the Tracy Arm Fiord, all was fine. Beautiful weather.

I hope they love it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast