Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, that'd be a long flight...

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll remember that Herself and I visited Alaska last fall, yes? One of the places we visited and fell in love with was Ketchikan, AK. We left the downtown area and walked "uphill" toward the non-touristy section. There we found a little seafood shop. We had some things sent home and it was here that the worker (Frank) told us that we could get a LIVE King Crab in season.

Well, we've kept in touch with that little shop and had some bad news over the past week. The owner, a former US Navy SEAL, Cap'n Everett (has his own crabber a la Deadliest Catch) is dying of inoperable pancreatic cancer. :( He's written a few letters (email) and kept us informed.

He's selling his business and is willing to help any newcomer "learn the business."

That'd be a long flight to WDW wouldn't it?

Did you ever have a hidden dream that once surfaced made you seriously consider, "If only...?"

We spent most of last night talking about it, and actually doing some research on the area...

We know less than nothing about Alaskan Seafood procurement and selling though, and absolutely nothing about the laws that govern running a business there.

But for 4 hours of an evening, it was fun to dream.

(Can't you just see us in our Wellingtons, flannel lined blue jeans (BECCA FLANNEL) black turtlenecks and funny winter hats running a seafood shop)? :D :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I could envision you doing that in Maine, but not sure about Alaska.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a truth, innit' John? :D We did fall in love, hard with the Pacific Northwest though. It's a gorgeous area of the country and the Alaskan seafood is wonderful. As with Maine, there is something to be said about the cold water seafood that causes it to rival all others. And of course, when you get up near Dutch Harbor, cold takes on a whole new meaning.

Now, if that lottery would just come through. (No winner this weekend). We could be true snowbirds!

Have you ever been, John? The oysters alone are worth the trip!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Flannel!! Yes! I can see it clear as day!!!!

What a lovely thought...chasing a dream. No matter what the outcome, it's good that you considered it. After all, it's our dreams that keep us going, eh?

Now, where shall I place my order?

Post Thanks / Like
    No order from you, Miss. You must come and pick it up in person. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you loved it up there and I could just see you both doing that. You liked it in the boat as well didn't you.

It will be very cold up there though, I'll be selfish and say that I think a nice cottage in Ireland with a little tea room attached would be ideal for you. :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that would be wonderful, Wendy.

I did love the crabber. Did I ever tell you I wanted to grow up to be a lobsterman in Maine? :D Can't quite see my back dealing with that! And crabbing in Alaska is DEFINITELY out.

So, Ireland and a tea room... could I wear my Wellies still? :D :D I do love them so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 309381
    No order from you, Miss. You must come and pick it up in person. :D
    Ahhhh....in that case, I'll place MULTIPLE orders!

*sigh* I've secretly been pricing cruises to Alaska...it's calling to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 309358

Have you ever been, John? The oysters alone are worth the trip!
    No, we've never been to Alaska. I really would love to go though I read your trip report and you made it sound so lovely Maybe we can come and get some seafood from you after you move and open up.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Im always dreaming about moving to somewhere like america, canada or Australia!!! At the moment it will only ever be a dream.
    Alaska though is on my bucket list and an alaskan cruise would be perfect :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast