Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all new here,

I have posted in the intro's section but wanted to bring this subject up, I hope it's in the right place?

Back in September last year we took a trip to Walt Disney World and as part of the trip we decided to take in the new Harry Potter section at Island's of adventure.

Now I am not a massive fan of Islands of adventure and given the news that Disney have acquired Marvel and will take over the theme park rights in a few years time I expected that that area of the park would maybe start to look a little old until they decided to re-theme it.

However, I was really disapointed with the Wizarding world of Harry Potter.

I am not a huge fan of the Potter series however we both made the effort to read the books and watch the films to get a better understanding of the subject.

The main attraction was brilliant, I must say that. It was on par with the release of Spiderman ride. Big thumbs up.

But the rest of it just felt like a re-themed area of the park. The biggest thing for me was the huge stage building behind the castle which ruined the effect for me! Just painting a building black doesn't hide it!

Maybe I was looking for things given my love for Disney but I really did feel let down by the whole experience.

Every oportunity they had, contained Harry Potter adverts and they really built it up as being this amazing area.

This isn't a knock at Universal in anyway but I think JK Rowling picked the wrong company and feel Disney would have done her books justice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with you, we went last year, we haven't been to Universal for years, but decided to try it again.

I felt that it was all too close and small, I know they were trying to keep in character with the books and films, but it was just too much trouble to try and get into the shops because they were so small.

I'm hoping the extension of Diagon Alley in Universal Studios will be better. It's supposed to be opening in 2014, so hopefully the crowds will have died down a bit by the time you go.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 311650
    I'm hoping the extension of Diagon Alley in Universal Studios will be better. It's supposed to be opening in 2014, so hopefully the crowds will have died down a bit by the time you go.
    What she said. :wink:

However, I STILL maintain that nobody, nobody "does" theming better than Disney. Their attention to detail is just amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard about this. It seems interesting however I fully expect it to be a rush job.

Universal for a while were creeping up on Disney for quality. They had Spiderman and I thought Jurrasic Park was pretty good and I thought Harry Potter would be their opportunity to really take it to Disney.

But it all seems so flat.

I wasn't impressed with the Simpson's attraction either, very little effort has gone into that one.

Maybe I'm just a bit miserable?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean, it's not just you

I was lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom the day they had the first full Dress Rehearsal in the New Fantasyland. I was overwhelmed with the attention to detail and how well things had been done and thought out.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've still not tried the wizarding world because we're not thrill ride people and so wouldnt do much at IOA and wouldnt do the main HP ride either most likely.

Take that out and what we have left is a very small area to walk around with large queues to get in most likely and for a costly ticket.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 311663
    We've still not tried the wizarding world because we're not thrill ride people and so wouldnt do much at IOA and wouldnt do the main HP ride either most likely.

Take that out and what we have left is a very small area to walk around with large queues to get in most likely and for a costly ticket.
    We didn't do any rides, but it was nice to walk around somewhere different, there are some good lands in Islands of Adventure and it makes for nice photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 311663

We're not thrill seeking people, and we can just about manage Jurrasic Park etc but couldn't bring ourselves to do the Hulk.

If I am honest, unless there is some major new attractions at Universal and Islands of Adventure in the next year or two I don't think we shall be going back on our next trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were really set on going to US/IOA but after showing DDs some videos of the attractions on youtube I am not convinced it is going to be worth it.
    Abi LOVES HP but after seeing a video of the main ride I do not think it is appropriate for her and I really do feel that she will be terrified.
    We allowed her to watch Jurassic Park last year (after her asking and asking and asking) and she was really scared of it, I showed her a video of the area in IOA and she practically burst into tears at just the gates and hid behind a pillow.
    I know DH is going to be set on going but at over 300 for us to visit I just dont think it is going to be money well spent
    But then I do have a little argument with myself because they love men in black, despicable me, dr seuss, shrek and last time we were there one of the best times we spent was playing in the Curious george area.

Oh it is too hard to make decisions!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's difficult to make decisions with it being so much money.

If they are Harry Potter fans, then they will probably enjoy walking through the area with the houses and going into the wand shop and the other shop which sells some very strange sweets There are characters around to have photos taken with and I think the train is there for people to see.

There does seem to be so many other things that they like, it would seem a shame not to go

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast