Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My impromptu trip

Post Thanks / Like
    So I thought I should give a little explanation as to why I am probably going to sound like a crazy woman over the coming months planning for a trip that is still not confirmed but travelling in just over 3 months

Ok a little back story, is everybody sitting comfortably.....

I work for a tour operator in the UK called Thomson (also First Choice) and I have been extremely lucky that over the past 8 years that I have worked for them I have gone from working in one of their busiest stores (which due to companies merging and the high rent on our building was closed) then their main sales office (which was later closed when they moved the two merged companies into one office) to my current position as a 'homeworker'
    Now I have been a homeworker for 4 1/2 years and it has been amazing, I have been in a position that I could work full time but still do the school run everyday and see my amazing daughters but have the backing from a big company (the largest operator in europe)
    2 weeks ago I went on our normal friday morning conference call to be hit with the news that they are closing our department and are no longer going to be having homeworkers. To say I was shocked is an understatement, I was devastated because although I had lost a little bit of love of my job and especially working alone from home I loved being able to have the freedom with the children.
    So I found myself in the position where i had to make a choice, luckily I have built up a good reputation over the past 8 years and I had lots of contacts who had jobs both within the company and outside of it, I (after lots of discussions with DH) decided that I was going to take the redundancy offer and find another job instead of simply transferring through the business.
    This has meant that I am going to loose my 'concession' which is in effect 1500 discount off holidays within our company which I was planning on using next year to travel back to WDW with our family and my parents.
    Now for the really complicated bit, I am able to use this years concession as long as I book the holiday before I leave and as long as it travels within 6 months, now after a few job offers I have had I think I have found something that I can walk into when I finish my current job which means my redundancy payment isnt really needed for everyday things so........ guess what I am going to use it for
    Now the problem I am having is the company have been changing their mind quite a bit as to when we are going to be released from our contracts so this has had a HUGE say in if we can go, really I have 2 possible dates and if they dont work out then the whole trip is lost, we are either going to go 6th september or 23rd September. I really want the first date but it is very reliant on when I leave as I will not receive my redundancy payment until the following month.
    I have my first consultation meeting on wednesday this week and I am hoping to have a few more answers then but until week commencing 24th June (when we will be officially issued with our notice)I really have no clue what my immediate future looks like.

Now for the fun stuff, we were planning on next years trip to be a surprise anyway so it has simply made the surprise come round that much faster (which is good because I dont think I could have held this in for that long!) we have lots of little plannning stuff going on at the moment hoping that things work out but until I am actually booked on I cant do too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness, what a shock for you Did you ever think about going solo as a travel agent working from home I know it works for some people, but that's about all I do know

I'm so glad that you have managed to find another position and to still be able to get your discount from Thomson is brillliant, I don't blame you for going this year at all, it would be silly not to and lose the concession.

Will you still be a homeworker or will you have to go into an office in your new job?

I might be able to help you with a reservation if you are able to go from the 6th September, I have a reservation for Be Our Guest on the 10th September, it's at 5.30pm because it's a Halloween Party night. So if you might be interested I will hang on for a while until you know what's happening before I cancel it. I'm sure I can add people to the reservation as I've done this before in other restaurants, but I would check for you first.

I hope they don't keep you hanging on too long.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh thank you that would be great, I hoping I won't have too many problems because of the time of year we are going but I thought that we may not get into here with it being the one everyone wants at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to be going back into a store (I think still not 100% though because I have two offers to choose between)

Post Thanks / Like
    oh gosh :( that really is a shock I bet you end up doing great though and probably looking back thinking glad it happened

I wish I was going in september, that reservation on halloween party night is INCREDIBLY hard to get, i'd have snapped that up in an instant
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 312114

I wish I was going in september, that reservation on halloween party night is INCREDIBLY hard to get, i'd have snapped that up in an instant
    I'm not saying a word

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 312115
    I'm not saying a word
    I know cry :( I'd love to be there I truly would

if I win the lottery :D
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Very bravE of you but you only live once and all that so good on you!

I hope it works out for you :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! The suspense and drama!!! I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I have a meeting in 2 hours with my line manager. :0/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast