Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun found at animal kingdom

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 312440
    There are no metal detectors at Disney. They do a cursory bag check.

With this incident and the dry ice bomb at DL yesterday, I see changes coming.
    I wouldn't be surprised that airport type screening would be introduced and why would anyone think it was ok to take a gunn to WDW especialy a cop

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always felt very safe whilst in Disney world but (and I know it is completely unrelated and a bit weird) since what happened in London last week I just don't feel as safe. If somebody just walking down a London street can be attacked then it feels like it an happen anywhere. I didn't feel this worried about security after 9/11 or the 7/7 London bombs but this has really hit home with me for some reason. Maybe it is because I have children now and maybe it is because there just seems to be an endless list of incidents everyday in places I would normally not expect to be targets for things but it has really unsettled me and I would welcome any security procedures they want to put in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    My fox Orlando have updated the story since I read it earlier and have removed the bit about it being an off duty cop.

Here is the story:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - A Walt Disney World patron on a ride with her grandson found a loaded gun on her seat.
    Officials said Wednesday that the woman found the automatic gun on the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. The woman gave the loaded gun to a park attendant who then contacted her manager and authorities.
    The owner of the gun, Angelo Lista, told authorities he discovered his gun was missing several minutes after leaving the ride. He has a concealed weapons permit.
    Lista told authorities he didn't know Disney World patrons weren't allowed to bring guns. He said he thought the security checkpoint at the entrance to the park was only so guards could check bags for bombs or explosives.
    Disney World prohibits patrons from bringing weapons of any kind on its property.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, this reveals some serious "holes" in Disney's so called security.

First, Disney can't search bodies. So, anything you have on your body goes into the park. At no point of entry is it clearly posted that weapons of any kind are not allowed in WDW. Seems obvious, but it needs to be posted.

Second, the gun was legal for this person to have on his person in this area. That he was careless enough to lose it speaks volumes, but if stupidity kept people from legally owning weapons, there wouldn't be much of a problem with guns in the US.

Third, Disney does not check for any type of weapon or any other item at resorts, or DTD, or when getting on the monorail in EPCOT or TTC. (No security in those places).

The "bomb" was dry ice placed in the trash by a CM who is now in serious trouble.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why I have never thought how gun laws could affect WDW. This has really troubled me, how many people have taken a weapon and not been found out? I really do not like the idea of my children in a place where anyone could be carrying a gun, what's even more troubling is now people know weapons can enter the parks undetected people who do have not so good intensions will have realised this too. Disney need to act fast to change its security policy or a lot of people will be wary about travelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishypops, post: 312471
    I don't know why I have never thought how gun laws could affect WDW. This has really troubled me, how many people have taken a weapon and not been found out? I really do not like the idea of my children in a place where anyone could be carrying a gun, what's even more troubling is now people know weapons can enter the parks undetected people who do have not so good intensions will have realised this too. Disney need to act fast to change its security policy or a lot of people will be wary about travelling

But that could be the case anywhere in the US

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't travel anywhere else in the US with the children.
    I think because I was so shocked that someone felt the need to take a gun into a park that it has made me have a more extreme reaction. I can't get my head around why people feel they need guns in their home or need to carry them but that is a whole other conversation and I know a lot of people don't agree with me so I won't say anymore. I do hope that people agree that WDW is not a place for guns though whether it be in a park or at your hotel

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if he is a police officer then I think he should be reprimanded and suspended severely for his stupidity and carelessness.

Disney are obviously going to be looking at security after both events yesterday, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I understand how you feel Trish, it is scary and the tragedy in Woowich affected me as well, so much so that I'm talking to the television a lot when the news is on

I think that WDW is still a safe place, the reason this has hit the headlines is because it is so unusual. Try not to worry too much and let it spoil planning your holiday

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have guns in the UK, we also have nutters with butchers knifes. Yes we have a lot less guns than the US but the way I see it is that you're just as likely to be attacked walking the streets here as you are in the states.

Although I don't agree with the right to bear arms stuff, it is law over there so it probably pays to be a little cautious.

I just think stuff like this gets blown way out of context and while it is worrying that this man has got through security with a gun, at the same time it is impossible to be 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Saying all of that I do feel Disney do need to invest in body scanners however I imagine there will be a lot of problems with 'human rights' issues just like there were with the scanners at Birmingham airport a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think they need to go as extreme as body scanners, a simple wand metal detector would suffice, they have them going into sport events and some concerts why not here too.
    I don't want to get into the Debate about gun law because that is their law and we are entering their country so that is how it is what concerns me is this was a complete accident and the chances of it happening again are remote but if it were my children that found that gun in that ride they would have presumed it was a toy. They have never seen a real gun (actually neither have I) they probably would have picked it up and maybe pretended to shoot. This was a random accident born out if someone exercising their legal right to bare arms. They had a permit to carry the gun and claim they didn't see anything wrong with taking it into the park. How many other people have done this over the years? Yes we have been lucky in that this is the first (reported) case that it has gone missing but if there are not the security procedures in place to stop items like this getting in then accidents can and will happen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast