Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gun found at animal kingdom

Post Thanks / Like
    To which I have responded with

Thank you for your quick response.

I understand Disney have a policy stating no weapons but unfortunately a policy does not stop people from entering a park with a weapon concealed on their person. This is what concerns me. As I previously said universal have metal detectors in place to prevent incidents like this happening either intentianaly or accidentally as this case was reported to be.
    I am surprised that Disney who I must say has an excellent security team and they do an amazing job have not brought this into effect before now especially with different incidents that have happened in recent years where firearms have been used both intentianaly to harm or by accident and have resulted in tragic outcomes.
    I feel and I believe almost all of your patrons would agree with me that more steps must be taken by Disney to prevent this happening again.
    Like many other concerned families from all over the world I will be watching disneys response to this incident closely over the coming weeks in hope that you take appropriate action to keep your guests safe.

Kind regards
    Trish

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly understand your concern Trish but I don't think you are going to get more from Disney than that.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't ever remember seeing any signs stating no fire arms or anything in the resorts either. I never even thought about it before though to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just plain crazy, but in a way I reckon that the news should not have been made public.
    It just opens the door for any nutter to conceal a weapon in his pocket with the prior knowledge that he/she would be likely to get away with it.

What a World we live in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 312532
    It just opens the door for any nutter to conceal a weapon in his pocket with the prior knowledge that he/she would be likely to get away with it.

What a World we live in.
    That was another one of my concerns.

It just feels like Disney are not taking this seriously at all. They asked the man to leave the park (the same action sea world has when someone is caught cutting in line) but was able to come back the next day. A member of the public found the gun he lost and picked it up, what if that was a child, what if they thought it was a toy and it went off? I think disney need to take a big step back and think about whether they think their response to this was appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not like Disney can arrest the man. It is legal for him to have a concealed weapon (he has a permit) however Disney is private property and they say no. Private property trumps in this case. But the man did nothing that was illegal in the eyes of the law. Yes, he exhibited extremely poor judgement but what else is Disney supposed to do? Ban him from the parks? Seriously you have no idea what a fire storm that would cause in this country.

AND Disney security wouldn't have been able to stop him from going in. His weapon was concealed on his person. He didn't have it in any sort of bag.
    I'm very sorry that you are upset about this but I don't know what else Disney can do. I imagine we will be seeing metal detectors and the like in the future.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a very complex and emotional subject isn't it.

I still feel safe at WDW but the so called security checks have ZERO to do with that, I've ALWAYS considered them ineffective and just a waste of time.

If you're going to do security, you either do it 100% and have metal detectors/body scanners or you don't bother. Searching bags will catch the people who pack a glass bottle of lemonade but someone intent on hurting someone is going to laugh at it and carry in their weapons :(

I was once told that security you see at Disney is nothing compared to the security people who walk around in plain clothes. I've no way of knowing if that's true or not, but I hope it is. I'd put more faith in that than the silly bag searches.

I don't know that I want to go to a Disney where I have to go through airport style security and you know what? I think if we DID do that then the terrorists will have won. They will have changed our lifestyle to the point where we're all living in fear and paranoia.

So I'll say the heck with it. Get rid of the bag searches, no scanners, sensible precautions like pain clothed security for sure, but that's it. That policeman wasn't going to shoot anyone and let's face it, he's only one of thousands who must carry their weapons off duty and go round Disney, we never know about it because they don't make a mistake.

Would any of the suggestions, EVEN scanners, stop a serious terrorist. I'm sorry to say it but I just don't think so :( so we either live in terror, which is what they want, or we say no way.

As it is right now, all the bag searches do is inconvenience 100% of the guests for, as we've seen, no benefit.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Completely agreed Keith. One who has evil intentions will find a way. The way we can fight back is to go about our lives without fear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 312555
    Completely agreed Keith. One who has evil intentions will find a way. The way we can fight back is to go about our lives without fear.
    I agree with both of you. If someone wabts to do something within wdw they will find a way around security checks and the like.
    Im the sort of person that will think about the worse situation for a few minutes but I then go back to enjoying myself. If you worried all the time you would end up being someone that didnt leave their house let alone travel.
    It does concern me a little bit that someone felt the need to take a gun into wdw to start with but if the worse did happen and there was a crazed lunatic running around and that person was able to stop him using that gun it would have been a good thing he was able to take his gun in.
    I hope they are able to find a way to make guests feel safe but at the same time I dont want to spend a proportion of my day going through checks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember being a kid and seeing a documentary type show on television about living in North Ireland decades ago. There were searches to just to go a shopping area. I remember thinking how very sad that must be, but it was the height of the IRA actions and no one felt safe.

I think we are close to that today. We don't have searches or metal detectors for many, many areas where mass crowds congregate. City streets for a simple example. Walking down 7th to go to Wolf's Deli is an exercise in being among a huge crowd.

Disney does what it does for whatever reasons. If we are concerned about being in a huge crowd, then we have a personal ability to adjust our lives to that concern. Flying has the pseudo appearance of being safe. It's no more safe now than it was pre-9/11. That's been demonstrated with any number of data driven analyses of the system. Yet, we fly.

Firearms are unfortunately a part of the American "culture." Do I like it? No. Have I owned firearms? Yes. Do I know how to shoot? Yes. My Da' taught me eons ago. Did I once have a permit to carry a concealed weapon? Yes. And let me tell you, that was not an easy thing to obtain in NY State. I truly enjoy target shooting and was even going to consider skeet shooting at one time, but never got that far. It never crossed my mind to "hunt," or to have those weapons for "self defense." They were locked in one cabinet with any ammunition (I didn't keep much, I bought it as I needed it for target shooting) locked in a completely different area. I firmly believe that having a weapon in a dangerous situation puts you more at risk than it does to keep you safe. Whatever you have on you can be taken from you and used against you. That is one of the many reasons corrections officers don't wear firearms.

All that to say, I fully respect firearms of all kinds. I do not believe for any reason that an assault weapon should be owned by a member of the "public." They have no purpose in civilian untrained hands. I don't even believe that semi-automatic weapons belong in the hands of the public.

I know that the American "fascination" with "guns" is something odd to most non-American cultures (of European descent) but it doesn't change the fact that they are here.

All that to say, I'm not going to devote myself to fear and worry. When in any public place I do find myself on what I used to term "city alert." When in NYC you have a different level of alertness for your surroundings than when you do strolling out to your mailbox. I use that same level of alertness now in airports, shopping centers, Disney, heck... Publix. It's a fact of life and I prefer to live my life rather than fear life.

I wish for all people, safety and peace. Until we get there, it's the individual's responsibility to make determinations of how s/he will provide that for her/himself.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast