Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what happens if theres a hurricane while we're at disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it sounds heartless because the people who live there are in a worse position :( but what happens if there is a hurricane while we're in a hotel? are they all ok or do they move people out to some big hall or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    We were at WDW a few years ago when hurricane Floyd was active. We were staying at OKW at the time and we had frequent visits from various CM`s handing out torches and safety info. etc.
    This was one of the rare occasions when all of the parks closed and many of the on-site restaurants also closed to allow the staff to return home.
    In the event, the storm passed without any damage, but better be safe than sorry eh?
    One thing to bear in mind about hurricanes is that they very quickly lose their strength when they hit land, and you couldn`t get much further inland than in Orlando so there`s not a lot to really worry about. We often go in the hurricane season and it doesn`t put us off going at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    We were there when Wilma hit in 2005 staying at ASMo. It mainly happened overnight and the evening before people were advised to get back to their hotels (we were having dinner at Boma). When we woke in the morning the parks were all shut and all the information we needed was on the television in the room. The food court had a limited selection breakfast platters available to they could get people served quickly, there were characters in the lobby for the and the CM's had set up colouring stations for the kids, there were also Disney movies playing on the in room TV's.

The weather was very windy (obviously) and it was quite a challenge to get to the food court from our rooms.

By lunchtime they had opened MK and Epcot to resort guests only and when we got to MK everything was nearly back to normal - everyting was opened and running normally.

I was amazed with how well Disney dealt with the situation, bearing in ind the UK comes to a complete standstill with 1 cm of snow :rolleyes008:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be our 3rd trip during "H" season. We've never encountered anything. But understand that we live on the Atlantic coast, so they do threaten us from time to time. And honestly, I'd rather be in one at Disney, than at home... Of course, I would just rather be at Disney period..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    grab a tiki and hope for the best LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    We were at the Comfort Inn in LBV for Floyd. The staff there were great. We had an update letter in our room everyday as it tracked closer. We were advised to get some water and food for our room and to fill the bath with water in case supplies were lost - then at least we could flush. On the actual night they fed us all really quickly in the restaurant then we spent the night in our rooms with the spare mattress pushed up against the window. Next morning they were round early with basic housekeeping and breakfast was served for everyone again and everything was back to normal by the evening.

On our first trip in 1988 my cousin and myself were at the Holiday Inn on I Drive when Hugo threatened and we were told that if necessary we would all be kept together in a conference hall in the centre of the main building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 35365
    We were advised to get some water and food for our room and to fill the bath with water in case supplies were lost - then at least we could flush.
    We were advised to do the same. The only problem being that all our efforts were in vain because the bath drained overnight via the ill fitting plughole that we didn`t realise we had!

Post Thanks / Like
    No #2s for you in an emergency then. :rofl:

Post Thanks / Like
    Disney really does do a remarkable job taking care of its guests and property during a hurricane. They have their CMs assigned to teams and those teams go into action as the threat grows more severe.

I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that the Swan and Dolphin were shelter areas for locals. Folks actually sorta kinda wanted to be sent to a shelter!

It is a wise idea to have the extra water as stated, certainly shelf stable food (you can even get shelf stable milk here) and the strongest flashlight you want to spend your money on.

Filling the tub is a good idea, too! Sorry your's had a bad stopper, Slowhand!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh also the ASMo parking lot was full of RV's from Fort Wilderness, not sure if they were camping out there, but I suspect they were given rooms at the resort :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast