Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I mad? Sharing a room with three other people

Post Thanks / Like
    To cut a very long story short, I may have invited my brother and his fiancé to come with us next year on our Disney trip. Not only that, to cut costs I may have suggest we share a room!!

Am I mad?

It is going to cost in the region of £1,300 each next year (including the dining plan if we book before July 1st) whereas the same holiday for just us two would be around £2,500 each.

Are we going to end up hating each other by the end of the holiday?

Is it worth looking at an extra room?

Any experiences with room sharing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only you can answer that question. It's a lot of money to save though! Maybe set some ground rules before the trip? Things like using the bathroom maybe an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    You "may have invited"? LOL, is that like being "sort of pregnant"? LOL. What a loaded question! Clearly, it depends on SO many factors - do you and your brother get along well? How well do the other people in your party (not related by genetics) get on and how well do you *really* know them? Rooms at Disney are pretty close quarters, even for families. That being said, I've heard happy stories and I've heard horror stories. I think it's particularly difficult given the sheer length of time most Brit's travel for - I get tired of myself after a couple of weeks!

So then, tell us more!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's exactly like being a little bit pregnant! lol

I have known my brother's fiancé for 7 years now. We get on really well to be honest. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and they got on well too!

I used to get on with my brother really well but the last 18months we have driffted a part and not really spent a great deal of time together. We haven't argued at all but we are not as close as we once were due to us moving to seperate areas etc.

My brother's fiancé has never been to Florida and her family are not flyers so the chances of her going with them are slim. However, she has been to New York so she is happy to fly.

They are both massive Harry Potter fans so there would be at least a couple of days where they would go off property to do their own thing.

It's the only way to bring the price down for us to an affordable level.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a difficult question to answer.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, no matter how close I was to the other couple, I'd be thinking about the bathroom, getting dressed things like that What happens if one wants to go to bed or lie in and the others don't, you would be disturbed by the other couple.

We have been on holiday with a family who are very close friends. We were staying in a house and had much more room, but when I needed time out, I could go into our bedroom for some peace and quiet, if I'd been in a hotel room, it would have been unbearable, I'd have had nowhere to go.

It is a lot of money to save, but I guess it will come down to whether you could spend 2 weeks in each other's pockets.

Sorry, not much help really

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo, post: 313425
    It's exactly like being a little bit pregnant! lol

I have known my brother's fiancé for 7 years now. We get on really well to be honest. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years and they got on well too!

I used to get on with my brother really well but the last 18months we have driffted a part and not really spent a great deal of time together. We haven't argued at all but we are not as close as we once were due to us moving to seperate areas etc.

My brother's fiancé has never been to Florida and her family are not flyers so the chances of her going with them are slim. However, she has been to New York so she is happy to fly.

They are both massive Harry Potter fans so there would be at least a couple of days where they would go off property to do their own thing.

It's the only way to bring the price down for us to an affordable level.
    Well - it certainly sounds good on paper! At the risk of "stereotyping" I think it can be much easier for "younger" couples to room together than....ahem, more mature couples. :wink: My son is 21 and I swear he could shack up with 3 people he'd only JUST met and never have a problem. I think as we get a bit older and more set in our ways (and them in theirs) it becomes a bit harder.

I also think if that's the way you can make it affordable - you'll find a way to make it work.

Perhaps you should consider going "away" with them for a weekend and see how that goes? Even if it's someplace local - just to get a feel for traveling with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second the weekend idea!!

Are you stating onsite? Maybe a suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 313431
    I second the weekend idea!!

Are you stating onsite? Maybe a suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation?
    Old key west is the plan. It works out cheaper with the dining plan than almost all of the moderates and a lot of the value because of the number of people in the party.

If we go as a couple we will probably end up going to one of the all star resorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would look at getting one of the apartments or suites so you would have a bit of extra room even if its a one bed with a pull out sofa bed. You will then have your own space.
    We've stayed with my parents in a time share before and get on fine but this is probably more to do with being able to go off to our own rooms for our own time.
    Also not meaning to be crude but have you thought about bathroom time. I'm assuming there is only one bathroom and could imagine it could get difficult.
    If you and your girlfriend are laid back and can let things go over your heads then I would say go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just my opinion, but if it were me, I would rather skip the OKW and get 2 rooms at a ALL Star

We have friends that I adore with all my heart and we have gone to Disney with my Mom and Dad and at some point everyone needs their own space. Just to breath and relax. That is just my take on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast