Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed from American friends please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Our school is having an America day on 4th July. I have to do 3 30 minute sessions with a mixture of 4-7 year olds, based on food. Would really like to make something with them but as you can see, time is limited. I only have 30 minutes, and I have to do the session 3 times, with three different groups of children.

So, has anyone got any ideas?

It'd be great if we could make something with some sort of history behind it.

Someone suggested trail mix or Smores, but I've not idea what either of those are :D

All suggestions welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    trail mix is a mix of nuts, fruits and M&Ms so i guess you could use smarties...and probably ditch the nuts - that would be a good way of showing them healthier snacks? mine used to love it

s'mores- officially i think its graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate- you toast the marshmallows and sandwich between crackers and add a piece of chocolate. I've made them with digestives or rich tea biscuits and both would be nice. Don't know how you would toast marshmallows in school though..

Post Thanks / Like
    With such short notice and the limited time frame you have doing anything with food would be tough. American favorites on the 4th include things like hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad and watermelon.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    you could ice cupcakes in red white and blue? or get little flags to go in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 314687
    you could ice cupcakes in red white and blue? or get little flags to go in?
    Julie, I like that, it's a really good idea. Vikki, you could make the cupcakes and take them in with you, so all they needed to do was decorate them.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can gets lots of sprinkles these days in that theme. You can buy 12 fairy cakes for under a pound in tescos
    Or they could decorate biscuits?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the cupcake idea. The thing I hate is the time constraint. I don't want to just make something and that be it. I want to do a bit on traditional foods that would be eaten first, and finish it off with making something really simple. The smores or cupcakes would be perfect I think. It's amazing how much you can fit in for 30 minutes ;)

The children are having an American themed lunch as well which should be good. We're finishing off the day with games of baseball and basketball :D

Should be a brilliant day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I come? Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Course you can :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot dogs and apple pie are about as American as you can get.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast