Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's everyone reading?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested to hear about the Auschwitz one. I just read a book by Jodi Picoult called The Storyteller that had a Holocaust theme very good

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    If that's the one by Denis Avey then I finished reading it a couple of months ago. Makes awful reading to think that people can sink that low, but a fascinating insight into the atrocities. I went to Auschwitz a couple of years ago and it was everything I expected it to be, so moving, so sad.

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge
    2016 Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 315250
    I'd be interested to hear about the Auschwitz one. I just read a book by Jodi Picoult called The Storyteller that had a Holocaust theme very good
    It's called "The man who broke into Auschwitz" Yes it's by Denis Avey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard Madely has a new book out! It's about a psychopathic spitfire pilot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet, post: 315256
    If that's the one by Denis Avey then I finished reading it a couple of months ago. Makes awful reading to think that people can sink that low, but a fascinating insight into the atrocities. I went to Auschwitz a couple of years ago and it was everything I expected it to be, so moving, so sad.
    I wonder whether this would be suitable for Matthew. He's very interested in Auschwitz and has expressed a wish to visit, but I'm not sure if he could handle it...though we visited Oradour-Sur-Glane and he was ok, but much younger so maybe it didn't register as much as it would now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 315438
    I wonder whether this would be suitable for Matthew. He's very interested in Auschwitz and has expressed a wish to visit, but I'm not sure if he could handle it...though we visited Oradour-Sur-Glane and he was ok, but much younger so maybe it didn't register as much as it would now.
    We took my granddaughter and she was 16 at the time. It's so hard to describe, her reaction was almost of disbelief although of course she knew it to be true. I can't really describe how I felt, awe, respect for those who died, sadness and I think that was the most overwhelming feeling just such sadness

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge
    2016 Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like
    Well maybe if he still want to visit I should try to take him. I'm thinking back to when we visited Oradour-sur-Glane and remembered Jamie had just turned 13. I spoke with him last night and he still remembers the sadness and feelings he experienced almost 6 years on. I understand that overwhelming feeling which is difficult to describe, it's so much than just feeling sad and sorry for the victims of these atrocities. It consumes you. Perhaps we'll get the book and see where we go from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piglet, post: 315445
    We took my granddaughter and she was 16 at the time. It's so hard to describe, her reaction was almost of disbelief although of course she knew it to be true. I can't really describe how I felt, awe, respect for those who died, sadness and I think that was the most overwhelming feeling just such sadness
    I found it a very difficult experience. I think everyone needs to go, especially anyone who has doubts about the events and anyone who doesn't think that places have a "memory" because there's an imprint of what happened there and I may not be able to explain it scientifically but I sure felt it.

overwhelming sadness is the dominant feeling but there's scary, apprehension, hopelessness and just such a mix of residual feelings.

Without doubt a very important experience but one that left me emotionally exhausted
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've started reading the book and it's going to be a goodun', very hard to put down. Looks like the family will be fending for themselves again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its somewhere I would like to go, but I don't think I'm a strong enough person to go there if that makes sense, just seeing pictures on tv sends me into floods of tears

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast