Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower the age to allow drinking alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised to find out that you have to be 21 in the states to drink. Seems crazy 18 to vote, serve in the military but 21 to have a glass of wine.

I was watching a US news channel and they say theres a move to get it lowered, what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was 18 when I was in high school. It was lowered for those very reasons, military service, etc.

Then, so very many under 21 year olds were involved with drunk driving arrests, accidents, and deaths that they returned legal drinking age to 21 again.

I don't really mind either way. I'm not a huge fan of drunkeness at any age.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    it was a pain when we were over and couldnt drink, I think it should be lowered. students will drink in private anyway if they cant in a bar

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was 18 it was illegal to drink in the state of Virginia where I grew up. But I went to NY that summer and was able to buy beer. I went in the military at the age of 19 and couldn't legally drink in Illinois where I was stationed. By the time I got back from Germany, at the age of 24 the age had been raised to 21.

So from that point of view I am a firm believer that if I am old enough to fight for and die for my country then I am old enough to drink responsibly.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 35877
    So from that point of view I am a firm believer that if I am old enough to fight for and die for my country then I am old enough to drink responsibly.
    Yes, I really have to agree with that
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    But it's the "responsibly" where the issues arise.

US student that came over to my uni found that not only could they legally buy beer but also that our beer is a lot stronger on the whole that typical US draft. Saw some right sights I can tell you.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been debated longer than I have been alive!

The legal drinking age was raised to 21 consistently throughout the US before I entered university. Frankly, I preferred it that way. I'm not a fan of being around those who drink simply to get drunk--at any age! And many 18 year olds don't have much common sense--or they didn't when I was young! :)

Drinking responsibly as part of a social occasion is fine--it certainly can enhance the experience. The key is "responsibly." :)

Dismounting my soapbox now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you grew up in Vermont, John.

I think part of the desire to control drinking in the US is in the roots of the invasion by the white man. :D Puritans, highly religious folks, ect. Temperance, prohibition, we have a long history of alcohol related issues. Bringing alcohol to the Indigenous Peoples of the US was not a favor and did much to damage their society.

I don't know the answer. I know that being old enough to fight for one's country is not an indicator of maturity. :) I've seen that ofen enough! Care to be around a bunch of Seabees when they are at a party? Drink is what they do, to staggering (literally) amounts. I'm sure the same can be said for many other military factions.

I think perhaps the focus should be on the problems that arise from drinking to excess in public. Driving, fighting, other acts of poor judgment... Allow the drinking but legally enforce consequences, I don't know.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    John on your end I agree. If you are in the military then you should be allowed the right to drink if you wish. In that area it should be allowed by military ID only if you are under 21. I do not believe that should be extended to all 18 yr olds. I also say if you come from a country that allows at 18 then your passport should be proof and you should be allowed. BUT the first time either one, passport holder or Military ID screw up and get into some sort of trouble while under the influence...the right should be removed from that person. I think opening it up blanketwise would be a mistake at this point. Those kids are under enormous pressure...and that mixed with booze is bad juu juu. I was one of the ones that grew up with the 18 age as legal....I saw way too many of my friends die by both thier own bad judgement and the bad judgement of others.....
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh good heavens yes. I remember too many kids dying of alcohol poisoning. Not something you hear too much about now, but it sure seemed prevalent in the 70's.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast