Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lower the age to allow drinking alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like
    You make good points Slowhand, and one critical one. When someone is doing Military service there is an element that will provide oversight. I never saw it interfere with those Seabees drinking too much but it is there.

I firmly believe in National Service. Goodness if the Italians can do it... :D

I would include both genders, of course. The young women of today need as much direction and discipline as to the men.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 36494
    I would include both genders, of course. The young women of today need as much direction and discipline as to the men.
    If not more....

And what the enemy will see? They will see the flash of our cannons, and they will hear the ringing of our swords, and they will know what we can do! By the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts! Gentlemen, hoist the colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been against national service but I think I have to reconsider :(

I'm working not far from where a father of two was beaten to death by a group of teens outside his house because he dared to go outside to try and stop them vandalising his wife's car.

The defences they offered were the usual cries of poverty, nothing to do and it's not the only case of this kind of thing, far from it!

although I hate the idea of national service, I do think we're raising people in a very materialistic society where everyone has the latest iphone, a car (unheard of when I was young) and if they don't they're angry!

I guess if it gave people a sense of self worth, discipline and heck maybe even a bit of national pride too, then perhaps it's the way to go
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 36593
    I've been against national service but I think I have to reconsider :(

I'm working not far from where a father of two was beaten to death by a group of teens outside his house because he dared to go outside to try and stop them vandalising his wife's car.

The defences they offered were the usual cries of poverty, nothing to do and it's not the only case of this kind of thing, far from it!

although I hate the idea of national service, I do think we're raising people in a very materialistic society where everyone has the latest iphone, a car (unheard of when I was young) and if they don't they're angry!

I guess if it gave people a sense of self worth, discipline and heck maybe even a bit of national pride too, then perhaps it's the way to go
    Realistically, national service could take forms other than military, although they should use the military model of basic training and discipline. There are a lot of community service organizations/projects that could use the minds and strength of our young people. The trade-off would be small payment (similar to military) and options for education/training while learning to work as a team in a well-supervised environment for three years or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taja, post: 36652
    Realistically, national service could take forms other than military, although they should use the military model of basic training and discipline. There are a lot of community service organizations/projects that could use the minds and strength of our young people. The trade-off would be small payment (similar to military) and options for education/training while learning to work as a team in a well-supervised environment for three years or so.
    Good point Taja! Youre right, my mind went instantly to the military but yep, plenty of community based projects that could benefit
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm for National Service. I agree it doesn't necessarily need to be military service in order to instill discipline and structure in people's lives. I see so many people in my line of work who have just lacked that. They turned to drugs/alcohol and have ruined their lives and here I am trying to help them put it back together. I think it would be a worthwhile endevour for lots of people.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234