Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float jackets

Post Thanks / Like
    Zac loves to be in the water but unfortunately doesn't understand we need to hold on to him. He is almost 17 months so a little too old for the sit in rings but too young for arm bands.
    I have been looking at the float jackets and wondered if anyone has got any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    We used one for Ben and it was a total waste of time to be honest. It was just up around his chin the whole time!

Post Thanks / Like
    arm bands might be fine. At 17 months you'll be right beside him anyway. It's amazing how quickly they learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what your standards are in the UK, but here you would look for one that is Coast Guard Approved. There are lovely ones for children that fit like a vest and strap around the middle (with some having additional straps that go between the legs). They work very well ( and are available at some pools at WDW).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you :)

Post Thanks / Like
    you should be super careful with float jackets, they are made to keep you floating, but not vertical, so, he could be on the surface of the water and still be completetly horizontal with his face under water.

I have found for my girsl the arm ones worked pretty well even at around 14-16 months and let them move almost freely

Post Thanks / Like
    My girls had the arm bands that are made out if the same material as floats (cant remember what they are called) they were really good and work great for toddlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 315750
    Coast Guard Approved.
    <rant>

Absolutely. You MUST have a vest type floatation device. They are designed to keep the child's head and face out of the water. They are the ONLY device which will do so. The arm type floats are not sufficient.

Case in point. When my daughter was about 4 years old, I was visiting with her at the apartment complex where she and her mother lived. They were at the pool and I went out to say hello and see what they were doing. She was very excited to see me and wanted to show me how good she could "swim" with her arm floats. I knew then they were wrong but being a Red Cross trained life guard, I decided to use this as a teaching opportunity. I walked with her to the edge of the pool, she got set, and then jumped feet first into the deep end of the pool. When she jumped in, her arms with the floats on folded up over her head, and she slid right out of them and started for the bottom of the pool. I knew this was going to happen and was prepared. Fully clothed, I jumped into the water and pulled her muttering and spluttering to the surface. To this day, she remembers that and has absolutely refused to use arm floats with her own children. Thank goodness.

Pardon me for getting on my soapbox and pontificating so much, but I know how dangerous those arm float type devices can be.

Please keep your children safe. It only takes a moment and there is no second chance.

Tom (.... </rant>)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the key is being there Tom, I wouldn't ever advocate they be in the pool without someone beside them.you have to be within arms length and then increase that as they are more able. You hear of such tragedies and parents blaming lifeguards for not watching their kids but it's their responsibility. I see the lifeguard as a back up. I'll get off my soap box now :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 315887
    I think the key is being there Tom
    Absolutely agree. But sadly, the news media is full of stories of parents who "just looked away for a moment". Unfortunately, that's all it takes. A moment.

Tom (... can never be too safe around the water.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast