Thread: A bit of help if I may?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a bit of a dilemma that I think I need to put down somewhere, and would appreciate your input. Itís in regards to my job.</SPAN>

I have currently been with my company six years. I have worked through a couple of roles and managed one promotion in this time despite being promised things that in the end were false (problem number one lol).</SPAN>

In May of this year I had to re-apply for my own role as they reduced the numbers of people based in the UK, this is after I did the same the year before. Both times I was Ďsuccessfulí and by that I mean I kept my job </SPAN>

This restructure is part of a three year plan of which the final part of it will be completed in May next year. Rumours are that the job role will be cut completely. So Iíve had to live with the uncertainty for nearly three years. </SPAN>

Back in May I applied for a job in customer service call centre as it is a none sales role and suited my experiences. It's a role within a smaller company but on which does sound appealing. This week the rumours have been big at work that the cuts may happen sooner rather than later and by luck received a phone call yesterday for an interview on Thursday which I am really chuffed about. Funny how these things work out. </SPAN>

Too add confusion a relative also works for this company (in a different department) and has said there are jobs coming up soon there (and the jobs sound really interesting if I am honest) but it is something I have no experience in, but it is a role in which they train people from the start. </SPAN>

The problem is that the job I am going to be interviewed for is a little less money than I am on currently and if I were to get the job I would be at the very top of that pay grade and that is where my concern is. Obviously there is room for progression via different roles but I am not sure how quick etc.</SPAN>

The money is workable itís not a huge amount but it is a bit of a difference so means I would have to tighten my belt for a while. </SPAN>

I have a gut feeling that something big is going down here and I need to get out before I am pushed. </SPAN>

Am I worrying over nothing and letting the money aspect cloud my judgement?</SPAN>

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what your situation is but I was in a similar situation 20 years ago. My company was losing its major contract and none of us really knew for sure that we were going to have jobs. I was offered a position with the US Government, albeit at a slight pay increase. Out of the uncertainty I took it. I haven't looked back. It sounds like there is a good chance that your company may be eliminating your job so I would be sorely tempted to take this new offer if indeed you get it.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so hard to know what to do, isn't it? Part of the problem is that the company themselves aren't truly sure what they are going to do, until they do it! That makes planning for one's future very hard to accomplish.

Listening to rumors can drive you mad. The information may be very valid (but do be careful thinking that) but only for THAT moment. Things really do change on a dime, and what was "definitely going to happen" yesterday, is no longer in the plan for today, and tomorrow will be different again.

All you can really do is make a decision based on what you think would be the best for you at any given time. And don't look back.

Good luck to you!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.Ē ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I was kind of in your situation this time last year. They kept telling me that my job was at risk and I would be downgraded for quite a few years so I appreciate how it feels to be on that precipice. An opportunity came up for me which meant resigning my post and getting a bursary for just over 2 years. My son is also at University at the moment too and that is majorly expensive! Anyway for me everything it felt like the stars had alligned and I'm only just realising how much stress I was under in my old role. My advice would be to go to the interview, speak to them about career prospects and then do what you think feels right. By the time you get the results of the interview things may be a lot clearer regarding your current company.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a difficult position to be in

It's really hard to know what to do but going for the interview, seeing what they have to say and getting a look at the place doesn't mean you have to take it. I think I would go to the interview with the intention of it being a fact finding mission as well as an interview. You could ask them what your chances are of growing within the company.

The other thing is that if there will be jobs coming up within the same company in a few months, if you decided to work for them, then they would know you are a good worker and you could apply for one of the the positions that are available. It might give you an advantage, you never know.

I usually find that my gut reaction to something is normally right and with the way things are here at the moment it seems to be easier to get a job if you are in one.

I guess you have to make the final decision, but if it was me, I would go to the interview, you have nothig to lose but everything to gain

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    ThanK you guys or your words.

i have just got back from the interview and feel its the type of place I want to be.

Sadly there are too many obsicles to overcome to make this one a starter I think. I had to explain that to take this job I was already taking a pay cut however they still asked me if I was willing to reduce further. Not something I can afford so we shall see how that went down.

Also if successful they would want me to start in August and given that my current employeers can be somewhat awkward I suspect I will have to work my full 4 weeks notice period which means I can't start when they would like.

It wasn't a total waste, got to go through my interview techniques which can only be a good thing.

Thanks again for your support :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Always good to practice your interview technique! Something will turn up and it will be the right thing