Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: teachers announce national strike!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23285445#

yep another one! pay conditions and pensions, although not complaining about the long holidays
    Welcome to the real world ? other public sector workers already have the new terms and many others would die to have teachers pay and benefits. Work long hours they say but then who doesn't these days?

Post Thanks / Like
    I find this post to lack any facts and find it somewhat disrespectful.

Firstly teachers do have the summer holidays off (which is unpaid btw) but I do know from experience that if they get two weeks off in that period they are doing really well. Planning for the coming year stars at the very end of the previous year.

Teachers have had no pay rise what so ever for the last 5 or so years. Given inflation that is in real terms a loss that they have had to take.

Talking of losses there pension has been change so much so it now costs them ten perecent of their salary to just keep the same retirement age that they agreed when the first joined the scheme.

I think this strike is fully justified however the public have been brainwashed to believe that these people are the enemies. First it was nurses then the banker then teachers. One day we will realise that it's the government causing the problems.

Teachers not only teach, they plan there lessons and are expected also to correct children yet they're not allowed to shout at kids any more.
    They have to deal with parents who think the school is there as a baby sitting service and it's a teachers responsibilty to bringing up their kids.

And regulally have to put up with threats and abuse from said parents when the teacher uses what power they have left to correct the child.

When will parents stand up and take responsibilty for their kids instead of blaming teachers.

Teachers along with nurses deserve everything they get paid and deserve a lot more but sadly the general public won't see that until its too late and there kids are being taught by a class room assistant and all the good teachers have gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you've hit the nail on the head about victimising certain workers Oreo. The grass isn't always greener and I know that Teacher friends spend lots of their spare time preparing work. There are good and bad in every Profession.

I do think there are other in thr caribf professions too that put in as much as Nurses but never get a mention. I spent 8 years working for Social Services and might as well have been hitler as far as some people were concerned :(

Whatever your opinion (and please feel free to express it) please keep it nice and friendly :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oreo, your opinion is well stated, but please don't feel that another person's opinion is disrespectful. We all have passions in our lives, and expressing those passions is part of what makes this such a vitally wonderful world in which to live.

I honestly can see both sides of the story, so to speak. My friend from childhood is an incredibly gifted teacher. I see how hard she works, how much love she gives to her students, how far she goes to assist families.

However, we have been subjected to one of the absolute worst teachers that is in the US school system this year. She humiliated our boy in front of the entire classroom on a regular basis and we were unable to do anything at all about it. She refused to meet with us unless we took time off work and met when it was convenient for her. She marked his papers wrong when they were right (we've kept copies). She doesn't belong washing roads, never mind in the classroom with children. I could list a full academic year's worth of concerns regarding this person, but you get the general idea. Does she deserve more pay? NO!!! She doesn't deserve an extra thing. That does not mean that other wonderful teachers don't, it simply means that the bad apples are rotting the whole thing for the good ones.

So, there are multiple points of view, eh?

And yes, we are compiling a lengthy complaint about her now that the boy is safely away from her.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with some of what both posts say.

It does seem like *some* parents expect to shove their kids into school and have all the parenting done by the school. To expect that at any time would be insane but given that teachers' hands are so tied wrt discipline makes it all the more crazy.

Larger class sizes and the moving target that is the national curriculum doesn't help make things any easier.

Having said all that, the Government didn't need to make bankers into enemies, I was more than capable of seeing which top level people and institutions played games to give themselves huge bonuses and were then bailed out with public money, something that we'll all be paying back for many years to come.

I'm not sure I've ever felt nurses or teachers were enemies, although at times I've thought their unions were living on another planet (actually I'd be prepared to suggest another planet for some of the union leaders and pay to assist their transportation there but that's another story).

Fact is, we're in a huge global financial crisis and things are hanging together by a thread. Teachers are far from the only people who haven't had pay rises in a few years in the public sector and in the private sector things have arguably been even worse with layoffs rather than freezes.

Pensions have traditionally been a reason for a public sector job being worth so much more than the headline pay. Again the money just isn't there to afford it.

I'm all for teachers being on 100k+ and teaching assistants being given some actual respect and proper pay but I'd want every teacher to have spent time actually doing what they end up teaching. I'd make teaching something that everyone wanted to move to but knew they could only do it if they were established and respected in their field. We'd then have them as teaching assistants as they were trained how to teach. I'm afraid the current idea of people with no life experience or industry experience popping out of university as a teacher is not cutting it.

The awful thing about talking about this subject is that it's like trying to criticise going to war without everyone thinking it's a criticism of the soldiers :/ when I see truly good teachers, the REALLY good ones, there's no way I'd want to be seen arguing against them having more money but then this is what performance related pay should be about? Let's find the great teachers, pay them more, let's find the rubbish ones and get rid instead of it being a job for life irrespective of performance. The tricky bit is nailing down what we mean by "performance" in teaching. I certainly believe it's more than just how many kids get A's (although at the moment that's kinda all of them isn't it? ;-)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Until you've actually worked in a school you have no idea what teachers have to deal with.

I'm not saying I agree with the strike. I'm saying that the job is not what a lot of people think it is. And they don't get 6 weeks holiday in the summer - they get 6 weeks unpaid leave and they have to work at least half of that. And they don't work 9-3 5 days a week. And they have to put up with a lot of ****.

I've been attacked by children in my school 3 times in the past year...

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record the starting salary for a teacher is 21,588 and it goes up very slowly from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    With regard to not knowing what truly goes on in schools...

One of my team members (a nurse) has her daughter enrolled in a Montessori grade school. The child often asks to play scrabble, and games of that nature and her Mom tells her "not now, they are adult games." (I'm taking this a bit out of context, but you get the general idea).

Soooooo, the little darling went to school and told her teacher her parents were playing adult games at night and she could hear them.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's shameful to me how poorly compensated all people who are in a helping profession are paid. Teachers are educating and nurturing our most precious gifts....our children. I don't know about teachers in other countries but in the US, teachers have to spend a good deal of their own money on basic classroom supplies.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 316009

Soooooo, the little darling went to school and told her teacher her parents were playing adult games at night and she could hear them.

I do like the look of the Montessori schools. I really feel there's a lot to be said for their methods.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast