Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: teachers announce national strike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 316783
    Like I said, I won't be striking. I think it'll do more harm than good.
    I think so too. I think perception and public feeling will take a dive on this one. They'd be better off explaining why they feel SO badly in a big news conference and then at the end stagger everyone by saying but we will NOT be striking because we understand that everyone is in the same boat and we want to stand with all the parents in not letting down the children. HOWEVER we put the government on notice that we cannot go on like this and every year we'll be putting the increase on account to be claimed once the economy starts to get back on its feet.

As soon as things start to turn, and I think we're seeing some positive signs, it would be very hard for the government of the time to say no when the teachers had taken such a high moral approach.

...but striking now? Just going to get a country full of people watching the news saying "Yeah well I have no money either so why do you expect me to pay you more!"
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Keith :D

I didn't strike last time either and I remember the news coverage was all about how nobody had sympathy for teachers. I fear this time it'll be the same. This is if it actually happens of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't affect me but I wouldn't either. Doesn't change anything!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    So, the strike is happening.

Are many of you affected?

Ironically, Ben's school is closed for the day, but mine isn't (I've once again decided not to strike).

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard of any around here that are, it doesn't make any difference to us now anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't affect me but several people at work are having to make child care arrangements and budget for the cost of that day. As you can imagine, there's zero sympathy for the strike. If I have to sit through another rant about how the schools insist on not a single day absence but yet then go on strike....

We've got to have motivated teachers paid properly, but just feels like this strike is an ill considered, unimaginative "old" tactic from a tired old union o_O
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing been said in our school about a strike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 321828, member: 3
    If I have to sit through another rant about how the schools insist on not a single day absence but yet then go on strike....

We've got to have motivated teachers paid properly, but just feels like this strike is an ill considered, unimaginative "old" tactic from a tired old union o_O
    I'll not mention that then lol and agreed Teachers do a great job but so do a lot of other people and a lot of other people are going through a really tough time at the moment. That said I'm sick of the assumption that public servants don't earn their money, slope off early and have wonderful pensions, for some maybe but certainly not all! So I don't really know what to say lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 321828, member: 3

That's why I'm not striking. It's not the best way to put the point forward. I support my fellow teachers who have chosen to strike, but personally it's not for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 321844, member: 39
    That said I'm sick of the assumption that public servants don't earn their money, slope off early and have wonderful pensions, for some maybe but certainly not all! So I don't really know what to say lol!
    I agree.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast