Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: teachers announce national strike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 321844, member: 39
    I'll not mention that then lol and agreed Teachers do a great job but so do a lot of other people and a lot of other people are going through a really tough time at the moment. That said I'm sick of the assumption that public servants don't earn their money, slope off early and have wonderful pensions, for some maybe but certainly not all! So I don't really know what to say lol!
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sick of the press making the public believe that Public Sector workers will have huge pensions. Yes, MPs and the heads of departments but not the normal employees who haven't had pay rises for years, but according to the press they have. Yes, I am married to a public sector worker so have first hand knowledge of how bad things have gotten. Chris' normal work day starts at 7am and ends at 8pm, he is only paid until 3.30pm but like teachers and others he has to work in his own time to keep everything up to date.

Something needs to change and I do think now that given time the coalition might actually bring the country's debt down, but at what expense

I can understand why the teachers feel the need to strike but I don't think it will help the cause, it will just alienate the public even further. Parents will be up in arms because it will impact on their working day not the fact that their child will be missing a day's eduction.

However I do think a full general strike for all Public Sector workers would bring the country to its knees, so long as every single person came out and then maybe the population would realise just how important they really are.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    totally agree with that! Really the problem nowadays is the lack of a decent working wage for people in the public sector doing any job versus hearing about bankers in London getting million pound bonuses and football players on a million a week. Something's very wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree too. All of the comments I have seen on message boards/Facebook/media in general is all about how people are loosing a days pay. I've not heard one comment about how their children are loosing education for the day.

The bad feeling it creates between parents and teachers is the main reason I'm not striking to be honest. This is the worst possible time of year to strike anyway, I have 25 new sets of parents to get to know, that I've only known for a few weeks. If one of their first impressions of me is that I'm going on strike, that's not a good thing.

A whole public sector walk out would definitely be interesting, but if the unions can't get all the teachers to walk out, I don't think a whole sector walk out would happen.

It'll be interesting to see just how many schools are affected on Tuesday though, from my colleagues at other schools around the country, it seems that less are striking than did last time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still know nothing about this and I work in a school...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 321903, member: 32
    I still know nothing about this and I work in a school...
    Snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something needs to be done as public services are falling apart at the seams. Unfortunately the worse it gets the more fuel it gives to the current regime that privatisation of all services is the key. We can see how well that works with private business initiatives such as targets as the most important thing in the NHS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 321929, member: 39
    Something needs to be done as public services are falling apart at the seams. Unfortunately the worse it gets the more fuel it gives to the current regime that privatisation of all services is the key. We can see how well that works with private business initiatives such as targets as the most important thing in the NHS.
    Definitely, it is not the way to go.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    For the record the starting salary for a teacher is 21,588 and it goes up very slowly from there.
    At a 1.50 exchange rate that is equivalent to over $32,000 which is considerably more than the majority of teachers start at in this country. I'm not a teacher but I do work in the public sector. We are getting ready to head into our 4th year without a raise of any sort and since I'm at the top of my grade I don't qualify for in-grade increases. On top of that we were furloughed for 6 days without pay earlier this year. That cost both Donna and I combined about $6,000. Now we are looking at a government shutdown and we have no idea how long it may last. And you are certainly right that the media distorts the pay of the public sector. If we got all the benefits that many people here in the states thought we got we'd be living on easy street and we certainly aren't anywhere close to that.

I have to sympathize with teachers world wide. They flat out do not get paid enough for what they are expected to do.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Teachers don't just teach your kids to read and write. In our school a lot of times they are more of a parent than the child's actual parents unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you see that quite everywhere, Dawn. It makes it a challenge for those of us who do parent the child. We end up feeling as though the school is intruding. We are a bit old fashioned with Seth, in that we expect him to have manners and be polite at all times. The school doesn't reinforce that, and he's come now to feel that we are "strict" and the school is the place to "have fun." NOT something we want to encourage. He has a problem with listening to and then following directions (as you can imagine if you don't listen). So we have a contract he and I, if he LISTENS to his teacher and FOLLOWS HER DIRECTIONS without any problems for the month of October, then I'll dress up with him and we'll go trick or treating. (G-d help me...but I made a deal).

We'll see. I believe there are mostly wonderful, hardworking teachers who get little or no credit for the love and devotion they bring to their work. But even one lousy teacher can seriously ruin it for the entire school. We've been down that road too, and a poor teacher is a terrible thing. Unfortunately, unlike a doctor or other professional, if the teacher is poor you can't simply choose another.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast