Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: teachers announce national strike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Teachers wages don't actually go up every year. When you start it does go up incrementally for the first 5 or 6 years, but then it stops. As I've been teaching 12 years, I'm actually on the same as I was when I was teaching for 6 years.
    By the way I'm not complaining about that, but just wanted to make it clear :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Send him to me Tink. We are very strict when it comes to manners at my school ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 322025, member: 106
    Teachers wages don't actually go up every year. When you start it does go up incrementally for the first 5 or 6 years, but then it stops. As I've been teaching 12 years, I'm actually on the same as I was when I was teaching for 6 years.
    I know, it's the same in Chris' department it makes you sick when the MP's elect to give themselves a pay rise and everyone else gets nothing.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. Maybe we should all elect to give ourselves pay rises ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 322025, member: 106
    Yes I can attest to that in this country as well. My friend (an engineer working for the DOD in our naval shipyard) couldn't understand the way the pay went. He is used to a published schedule working in the federal government. In my local school district, they often change the pay schedule every year so you don't really know what you are going to get in the next year. Basically they have frozen our pay for the past few years, and with .5% increase in pay and a .7% increase in health insurance...we are not even keeping up. Add to that the fact that I am pretty much at the top of my scale (not exactly sure as the just make ghost steps that actually no one qualifies for) so there isn't a lot more that I will ever get. I have been with the district for 34 years (did I say that out loud? Sheeesh!) and a brand new teacher with no experience make 2/3 of my salary for 10 months. SOOOO I can see where the frustration can come from...how much so, not sure if I would want to strike.

But since we were not able to strike....we have worked to the contract. We all left the school at the same time...took no books, plans home,.....did not extra curriculars and followed the letter of the law. Well when we did that one year, we got the largest increase that we ever had. Still with that raise, we were thousands of dollars behind other local schools per year, and per haps nearly 10 K behind what I would have made in Pennsylvania.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've supposedly been working to contract for the last year. Nobody actually has though.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could send Seth to me :D but then I am probably a bad influence
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 322036, member: 106
    We've supposedly been working to contract for the last year. Nobody actually has though.
    Well, thats the thing, you can't can you, if you didn't care about the children you are teaching. The thing is that they know that the majority of teachers are caring people who whilst worrying about their own affairs, also worry about the welfare of the children they teach.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 322037, member: 46
    You could send Seth to me :D but then I am probably a bad influence

Well, thats the thing, you can't can you, if you didn't care about the children you are teaching. The thing is that they know that the majority of teachers are caring people who whilst worrying about their own affairs, also worry about the welfare of the children they teach.

they've got us all like that Wendy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 322038, member: 39
    they've got us all like that Wendy!!
    I know, it's Chris' first day back today, he started at 8am, he came down for lunch and tea and now he's gone straight back upstairs to carry on working.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do just want to say though, and I say this from a sympathetic point of view since DW is a public sector worker with the same lack of raise etc.,.... It's the same or worse in the private sector right now.

For several years now the private sector has halved workforces, stopped benefits, heck most of the companies I know didn't even have a christmas party last year because they'd let people go and it didnt feel appropriate.

Most private sector workers will now be checking their phones all night and replying to work emails, writing proposals etc. their wages have gone down in real terms but hey, who wants to complain when they're the "lucky" ones who've kept their jobs?

I think that's one of the things that makes this an icky time to be striking. So many people are less well off and clinging onto their job if they're lucky whilst working every minute of the day/evening/weekends.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast