Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Free Dining at Walt Disney World Expected to be Extended

  1. #1
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    21,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like Disney will be extending their free dining offer, the new dates are expected to go on sale on the 1st August and will be for a variety of dates in October, November and December.









    If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne



    A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm!

    Goes with what I was saying in the Universal thread.

    Not sure what to think about it to be honest.


  3. #3
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    21,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo, post: 316264
    Hmmm!

    Goes with what I was saying in the Universal thread.

    Not sure what to think about it to be honest.
    I'd like them to stop doing it, but it's not likely to happen until the economy picks up a lot









    If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne



    A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 316283
    I'd like them to stop doing it, but it's not likely to happen until the economy picks up a lot
    Any reason why you'd like to see it stopped?


  5. #5
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    21,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo, post: 316287
    Any reason why you'd like to see it stopped?
    I think the quality and service have reduced tenfold, admittedly it's not as bad now as it was when it first started because the gratuity is no longer included in the price. The servers then weren't interested in you unless you were on the dining plan and they got you to choose the dearest thing on the menu because the more you spent the higher their gratuity. Since the start of free dining we hardly eat on site anymore, the menus are getting smaller and smaller and all the good food has been taken off and replaced by cheaper meals.

    I completely understand people taking advantage of it and good on them, but I think there should be a separate menu for the dining plan. People that don't use the plan are paying over the top prices now for food that isn't as good as it used to be and in a way, it is these people that are subsidising free dining.

    I also miss being able to walk up to a restaurant, look at the menu and then go in for a table - those were the days









    If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne



    A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 316289
    I think the quality and service have reduced tenfold, admittedly it's not as bad now as it was when it first started because the gratuity is no longer included in the price. The servers then weren't interested in you unless you were on the dining plan and they got you to choose the dearest thing on the menu because the more you spent the higher their gratuity. Since the start of free dining we hardly eat on site anymore, the menus are getting smaller and smaller and all the good food has been taken off and replaced by cheaper meals.

    I completely understand people taking advantage of it and good on them, but I think there should be a separate menu for the dining plan. People that don't use the plan are paying over the top prices now for food that isn't as good as it used to be and in a way, it is these people that are subsidising free dining.

    I also miss being able to walk up to a restaurant, look at the menu and then go in for a table - those were the days
    Those comments echo my thoughts entirely Wendy...couldn`t have put it better myself.
    Many of the WDW servers we know also regret the situation nowadays.

    I was particularly amazed on our recent trip about just how much less expensive it was to dine off-site.
    I knew that it was the case, but the gap seems to have got even wider than when we went last year, and we ate at some really nice places off-site many times.





  7. #7
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    21,579
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terry, the only place we are eating onsite during our whole trip is at Be our Guest and that's because I really want to.

    We were going to eat at YSH but the menu is so small now and pricey! We tend to eat offsite and often decide on the day where we want to go, none of this booking months in advance business









    If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne



    A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 316300
    Terry, the only place we are eating onsite during our whole trip is at Be our Guest and that's because I really want to.

    We were going to eat at YSH but the menu is so small now and pricey! We tend to eat offsite and often decide on the day where we want to go, none of this booking months in advance business
    I really enjoyed BOG though Wendy, if only for the pleasure of being able to enjoy a glass [or two!] actually in the park.
    Our mutual friend gave me the name of a server who works there and she took really good care of us.

    This time we only ate on site during the time when we were staying at the GF [apart from our first and last nights when as usual we went to the YSH], and this was mainly so that we could say "Hello" to our server friends.....its a bit of a ritual now.





  9. #9
    Administrator Tink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    15 minutes (or so) North of WDW
    Posts
    28,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you both know, I completely agree. I honestly am saddened at the significant change in the dining experience between then and now.






    Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •