Thread: PLEASURE ISLAND

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never visited it when it was open what was it like and is it a big miss

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, let's go waaaaaay back in time. PI was a wicked fun place for adults to go, after parks closed or of an evening when they didn't want to do a park. You had to be 21 to get into any of the clubs, and what clubs they were. The Adventurer's Club was legendary and to this day has a cult following. There were comedy clubs and dance clubs and ... can't quite remember them all! Nice restaurants, Firecrackers was one that was really a lot of fun (and HUGE).

There were street bands and drinks available on the street so if you didn't want to pay to go into the clubs you could still have a LOT of fun. Every Night Was New Year's Eve with fireworks. And the real NYE was a sight to behold. Buffet meals, flowing drinks, you name it... There was this really neat shop with high end unusual Disney type "stuff." There was a Tiffany styled Tinkerbell lamp there at one time. I soooo wanted that lamp! (Too pricey for me).

It was a truly fun place by day, and especially by night. It actually stayed open until 4:30 am, but that caused a huge race from downtown Orlando (Church St. Station, back in the day) to DTD for "last call," so Disney moved the closing to 2:00 am like the rest of the bars in the area.

All gone now, of course.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    The main problem with PI was that although Disney owned the land, all of the clubs and bars were franchised.
    As Tink said, it was a fun place to visit in its heyday.
    I had the pleasure of being there on a cast member night when my DW & I went with Ricardo and his DW very shortly before it closed...in fact it may have been on the last night of all.....and had a blast.
    Sadly, it was beginning to attract the "lunatic fringe" and there were many alcohol related incidents which was threatening to tarnish the Disney image, hence its demise.

Hopefully the new development will get a more sensible clientele.

Post Thanks / Like
    We really enjoyed PI, especially the Adventurer's Club. Kungaloosh.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I was too young to visit when it was open, but I always wanted to. I'm not heartbroken about not getting to see it, but I would have liked to.

There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. -- Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a night owl so I really do miss it.

Sure, MK is sometimes open till midnight but mostly 9/10pm and after that there's just about nowhere to go on Disney now other than planet hollywood. Even the cinema isnt open late except fri/sat.

Universal citywalk on the other hand gets going as disney sleeps leaving me to think more and more that Disney don't really want me any more, they want the young family with 3 kids, dining plan, buying all the toys and nicely asleep at a disney resort by 10 ready for the next day of buying stuff.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what it was like........:za4:

I so miss this place when it was in it's heyday. There were many clubs and restaurants to choose from:

8TRAX (formally Videopolis East & Cage)
    The Adventures Club
    Neon Armadillo
    Comedy Warehouse
    Mannequins
    Rock N' Roll Beach Club
    West End Stage
    Fireworks Factory

plus others.

[ATTACH]15671.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]