Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVC question..

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this where it goes? I wasn't really sure

Ok..so this is just me getting some BASIC information just for kicks ;) You know how it is

Now I have seen on other sites that you need to take the points you need @ $14 each and then you add on the $500 ish closing costs and the $900 ish yearly fees. So that gives me a number.

Now if I got to the actual Disney DVC site it gives an example for cost and it tells me that 160 points = a $24,000 base price. Obviously I am way off somewhere. Wouldn't that make it around $150.00 per point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 316443
    Is this where it goes? I wasn't really sure

Ok..so this is just me getting some BASIC information just for kicks ;) You know how it is

Now I have seen on other sites that you need to take the points you need @ $14 each and then you add on the $500 ish closing costs and the $900 ish yearly fees. So that gives me a number.

Now if I got to the actual Disney DVC site it gives an example for cost and it tells me that 160 points = a $24,000 base price. Obviously I am way off somewhere. Wouldn't that make it around $150.00 per point?
    Yep, the going rate is $150 per point.
    Thank heavens we became members back in 1992 when it was only $ 50 per point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh I see!! I should have going to the actual Disney site to begin with. Thanks!!

It would be hard choice anyway seeing you can only buy into Bay Lake and AK.

I think I'll go start mowing lawns now..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 316446
    It would be hard choice anyway seeing you can only buy into Bay Lake and AK.
    You now also have the option to buy into the Grand Floridian.
    We went over to have a look at the models for this a couple of weeks ago and the accommodation is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, remember your points are good at any DVC, not just your home resort. Our home resort is OKW, but we stay wherever we choose (based on availability, of course).

The time of year, type of accommodation and place you choose to stay all drive the points you need. It is always more "points cost effective" to stay at your home resort, but that isn't what you'll always want to do.

Essentially, what you are doing is buying a hedge against yearly increasing costs of Disney lodging.

Now, you can buy resale, without going through Disney and you just may get a contract that totals less per point cost than $150. Disney has right of first refusal though on any contract, so they don't allow the resale cost of points to drop too low.

Also, "I've heard" that if you are serious, and tell Disney, I'll take XX number of points but I only want it at OKW (or some other sold out place) you could just get lucky. Of course, I think then you have to have the money up front.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 316449
    Also, remember your points are good at any DVC, not just your home resort. Our home resort is OKW, but we stay wherever we choose (based on availability, of course).

The time of year, type of accommodation and place you choose to stay all drive the points you need. It is always more "points cost effective" to stay at your home resort, but that isn't what you'll always want to do.

Essentially, what you are doing is buying a hedge against yearly increasing costs of Disney lodging.

Now, you can buy resale, without going through Disney and you just may get a contract that totals less per point cost than $150. Disney has right of first refusal though on any contract, so they don't allow the resale cost of points to drop too low.

Also, "I've heard" that if you are serious, and tell Disney, I'll take XX number of points but I only want it at OKW (or some other sold out place) you could just get lucky. Of course, I think then you have to have the money up front.

We have friends who did the resale and they got an amazing deal for a good amount of points for OKW. They love it, but it always made me a bit nervous. I know there are limits on where they can go that buying direct from Disney doesn't have. Honestly though looking at the points we would need - WOW! I might have to take a second look into resale ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Something must have changed about resale then, because it used to be there was absolutely no difference between resale and buying directly through Disney with the exception of financing. Disney offers (offered?) financing, and of course you couldn't use their favorable rates for a resale purchase.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 316451
    Something must have changed about resale then, because it used to be there was absolutely no difference between resale and buying directly through Disney with the exception of financing. Disney offers (offered?) financing, and of course you couldn't use their favorable rates for a resale purchase.
    They paid far less than what Disney charges. I'm thinking they paid around $13,000 for the 160-ish points that they got. I don't remember the numbers exactly. I know that it wasn't for the full 50 years, that it was more like 46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well! That would be well worth it even if you could only ever stay at OKW! That's a serious difference in price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 316454
    Well! That would be well worth it even if you could only ever stay at OKW! That's a serious difference in price.
    I was thinking the same thing! At first I was put off and I really wanted to go through Disney to get all the perks and such, but looking at the amount of points we would need and the size room we would need makes me want to run and hide. I realize it will pay for itself over time, but I don't know if I can talk myself into paying close or more than $100,000 for the DVC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast