Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Canadian's on the boards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to get an inkling of what life is like in Canada? what the health service is like? cost of living etc. Or has anyone looked into emigrating there? We're currently looking into the possibility of going to live there in around 5/6 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 316894
    Just trying to get an inkling of what life is like in Canada? what the health service is like? cost of living etc. Or has anyone looked into emigrating there? We're currently looking into the possibility of going to live there in around 5/6 years
    well I'm not Canadian but I've looked very hard into living out there (and met a lot of people along the way who are now out there).

As you'll already know, qualifying to move out there is far easier than to the states. Even the educational points needed to justify a move are very generous.

The health service is supposedly very good and perhaps unlike over here, the public are overwhelmingly behind it. Although I've not experienced it myself, a friend with serious health issues went over there (his wife was canadian so no problem) and has nothing but great things to say about it. (best not ask him about his thoughts on the nhs)

Cost of living depends hugely upon where you live, cities v in the middle of nowhere.

The people seem very friendly and welcoming to UKers although of course, employment is at a premium in some places and there's a degree of feeling from some uk folks that employers have preferred local canadians to the imports but it's hard for me to tell whether that's typical uk "no one loves me" rather than an actual bias.

I really like the Canadian attitude to life and work, what's more, when I see the US government make a really silly decision that has the rest of the world shaking its head, Canada always seems to come out a few days later with the sane version of the law.

Goes without saying that the scenery is amazing and I can't help thinking how wonderful it would be to live in one of the tiny villages with one main street. Different pace of life for sure! Another of my friends went to a village that looks like a christmas card. Lovely street, snow at christmas and just picture postcard. He gets enough work as a photographer to keep himself in food and as for vacations, well he says after the UK, his new life is a permanent vacation.

Other friends have gone out and started in small towns and ended up after not being able to find jobs, going to the major cities for work. They're perhaps not quite as happy given they'd hoped for a mansion on the lake for UK house prices, but ended up paying UK prices in the big Canadian cities anyway.

I guess we don't need to go into the many ways in which the UK just isn't working as a place to live at the moment :( but I think Canada really does offer a great alternative.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 316895
    well I'm not Canadian but I've looked very hard into living out there (and met a lot of people along the way who are now out there).

As you'll already know, qualifying to move out there is far easier than to the states. Even the educational points needed to justify a move are very generous.

The health service is supposedly very good and perhaps unlike over here, the public are overwhelmingly behind it. Although I've not experienced it myself, a friend with serious health issues went over there (his wife was canadian so no problem) and has nothing but great things to say about it. (best not ask him about his thoughts on the nhs)

Cost of living depends hugely upon where you live, cities v in the middle of nowhere.

The people seem very friendly and welcoming to UKers although of course, employment is at a premium in some places and there's a degree of feeling from some uk folks that employers have preferred local canadians to the imports but it's hard for me to tell whether that's typical uk "no one loves me" rather than an actual bias.

I really like the Canadian attitude to life and work, what's more, when I see the US government make a really silly decision that has the rest of the world shaking its head, Canada always seems to come out a few days later with the sane version of the law.

Goes without saying that the scenery is amazing and I can't help thinking how wonderful it would be to live in one of the tiny villages with one main street. Different pace of life for sure! Another of my friends went to a village that looks like a christmas card. Lovely street, snow at christmas and just picture postcard. He gets enough work as a photographer to keep himself in food and as for vacations, well he says after the UK, his new life is a permanent vacation.

Other friends have gone out and started in small towns and ended up after not being able to find jobs, going to the major cities for work. They're perhaps not quite as happy given they'd hoped for a mansion on the lake for UK house prices, but ended up paying UK prices in the big Canadian cities anyway.

I guess we don't need to go into the many ways in which the UK just isn't working as a place to live at the moment :( but I think Canada really does offer a great alternative.
    thanks Keith, I have enough points to go now so no worries there, even with the fact that age over 35 has no points. I would only be going with a firm job offer and my new role is on their wanted list so no problems getting in. We're only just starting to put feelers out, Jon is fed up working 55 hours a week generally and now they are making them work weekends too. He wouldn't have to work as long as i was in work but i think he'd want something to keep him busy. You don't happen to know what holiday entitlements are like do you? that's a huge thing that puts me off the US to be honest. I love my holiday time and there would be no point going there for only 2 weeks off a year! Our dream is to do road trips, possibly getting an RV of our own.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're off to Canada on Wednesday!!!!! My great uncle emigrated there when he was in his early 20s and never looked back. He's now a Canadian citizen.
    It is perhaps the most amazing country I've ever visited. After my a levels I spent 2 months there with family and loved every minute of it.
    My uncle has some serious health problems, including several bouts of cancer, and the way he was treated was exactly as you would hope.

Personally, I would love to live there, unfortunately it's not something Anthony fancies.

Have you ever visited?

Post Thanks / Like
    My father was Canadian. He was born in New Brunswick and emigrated to the US. We made frequent trips up there during the summer when I was growing up but I haven't been back to Canada since 1988 when we took dad's ashes up to strew them in the St. John's River where he grew up.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikki, post: 316898

Have you ever visited?
    no we haven't. You probably think i'm crazy but our intention on retiring was always to be nomadic! we'd stay in the US for 6 months in the winter then come home for a couple of months then spend a few months in Australia etc etc. If we go to Canada there's loads there that we can drive to, we could even be snow birds and Jon last night said we could rent in Canada and buy a villa in Orlando!!! (i think someone swapped him! either that or he's really peed off at work lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 316902
    no we haven't. You probably think i'm crazy but our intention on retiring was always to be nomadic! we'd stay in the US for 6 months in the winter then come home for a couple of months then spend a few months in Australia etc etc. If we go to Canada there's loads there that we can drive to, we could even be snow birds and Jon last night said we could rent in Canada and buy a villa in Orlando!!! (i think someone swapped him! either that or he's really peed off at work lol)
    I think that's brilliant! So much in the world to see...
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 316903
    I think that's brilliant! So much in the world to see...
    that's what his Dad did, sold his house, bought a catamaran and sailed it to the Caribbean, went all round the little Islands, got bored with that so ended up in Thailand, he now has a house in the north of Thailand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must admit to feeling very jealous of your plans Brit.

Although I obviously haven`t actually lived there, nevertheless I have been to Canada several times on business trips and really love the country.
    My trips took me to Edmonton in Alberta where I saw some amazing parts of the Rockies and I also went to the Toronto area on a few occasions.
    I reckon that my least favourite part of Canada would be Quebec, where I spent around 3 weeks many years ago. Although I found the folks to be very friendly, and I saw some amazing scenery, I found the language barrier to be a problem on occasion when my o-level French even failed!

[ps. Even the Canadian side of Niagara falls is much nicer than the US side IMHO. ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 316905
    I must admit to feeling very jealous of your plans Brit.

Although I obviously haven`t actually lived there, nevertheless I have been to Canada several times on business trips and really love the country.
    My trips took me to Edmonton in Alberta where I saw some amazing parts of the Rockies and I also went to the Toronto area on a few occasions.
    I reckon that my least favourite part of Canada would be Quebec, where I spent around 3 weeks many years ago. Although I found the folks to be very friendly, and I saw some amazing scenery, I found the language barrier to be a problem on occasion when my o-level French even failed!

[ps. Even the Canadian side of Niagara falls is much nicer than the US side IMHO. ]

ha ha! i got a D twice in my French O'Level but i'm sure i can teach myself to get up to speed. Obviously to work in health care this would be a good idea! although i think we'd be looking more to the west coast..maybe.. i don't know. I haven't ever had a bad report about Canada to be honest and i'd heard that about Niagara falls too ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast