Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grrr! Credit card fraud

Post Thanks / Like
    2nd time in 8months, on a new card this time. It's a credit card so not used for cash withdrawal, I never let it out of my sight, shred all documentation. Don't know where they're getting details from!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear, that's worrying for you. Could it be from any internet/phone usage?
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you swiping it any where? Readers can steal your number and create havoc with your account. It happened to my Brother in Law at a Hess station. Herself had it happen at a restaurant, TWICE.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    There's something weird with it all. I've had a couple of cards used fraudulently which were still in their envelopes never having been taken out or used/swiped ANYWHERE. Eventually the bank said well it must be the postman so they had the card sent directly to the bank using whatever internal mechanism they use and by the time I went to pick it up from the branch they said erm really sorry but it's been used fraudulently.

Now, I accept people must be able to generate valid numbers but you'd think they'd need the CVV and all sorts these days :/

All I can say is, I know for sure that you don't need to have swiped or used your card for it to be stolen these days :(
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me in February for the first time. Still working with the CC company to get the last two charges removed. The card was being used in NY (where I haven't been since 1990) and was being swiped even though the card was still in my possession. Why do some people have to be so xxxxx!! Luckily this card had a low limit because it's the only one I use over the internet and I caught it quickly. Unfortunately the CC company is a bunch of idiots.

I never swipe my CC at the gas pump anymore. I always go inside to pay.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    My number was stolen this time last year. I still had my card in my possession.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a call from my cc company when we were in Florida a couple of years ago saying that someone had fraudulently used my card. They asked me if I had another cc that I could use after I told them that I was on holiday [which I had], so they cancelled the card and issued another one.
    To be honest I was really impressed that they had picked up on this, especially as its mis-use was only for a small amount.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah I must admit many years ago I had american express do the same but in fairness to them, they had someone drive to my hotel in the states with a new card. I dont know if they're still that good but it impressed me at the time
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    i guess it's just one of those things now! Guess i'm just going to have to log in every few days. At least we're not just about to go on holiday like last time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 316997
    There's something weird with it all. I've had a couple of cards used fraudulently which were still in their envelopes never having been taken out or used/swiped ANYWHERE. Eventually the bank said well it must be the postman so they had the card sent directly to the bank using whatever internal mechanism they use and by the time I went to pick it up from the branch they said erm really sorry but it's been used fraudulently.

Now, I accept people must be able to generate valid numbers but you'd think they'd need the CVV and all sorts these days :/

All I can say is, I know for sure that you don't need to have swiped or used your card for it to be stolen these days :(
    Bliddy hells bells that IS scary news :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast