Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grrr! Credit card fraud

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 317120
    Bliddy hells bells that IS scary news :(
    yep :/

Now every time, the bank refunded all the money no questions but I did try and escalate the complaint because it just makes me feel completely unsafe! Of course all I got along the way was, well you've got the money back? Even after really pushing it, I never received even a half way decent answer as to why a card issued by the bank and sent internally, kept in a sealed envelope, could be used before I'd even got to the branch. They just kept on saying "well they can easily produce the numbers" but what about the CVV and things?

The card was used for 1 purchases on itunes which is apparently done to test the card and then escalating up to a few hundred at homebase online :/ but again, if I use itunes I have to have a cvv with the number and an address :/

Anyway, I'm sure the banks know all too well how it's happening but just aren't saying. After all, if it wasn't their fault, they wouldnt be so willing to pay the money back with no questions asked. Makes me believe it's some fundamental insecurity.

All I do sadly know is that you can have money fraudulently taken without ever having used your card. So whilst making sure not to use it in a dodgy petrol station is definitely good, it's not enough.

I do try nowadays never to use a debit card though. Put every thing on a credit card paid at the end of each month. At least that way if it does get scammed, you're arguing about not paying them whereas with a debit card you're arguing to get money back into your account. A bit more security with credit cards + points for virgin if done using their card ;-)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 317124
    yep :/

I do try nowadays never to use a debit card though. Put every thing on a credit card paid at the end of each month. At least that way if it does get scammed, you're arguing about not paying them whereas with a debit card you're arguing to get money back into your account. A bit more security with credit cards + points for virgin if done using their card ;-)
    same here! get yourself one with rewards in you're quids in lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 317124
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 317139
    same here! get yourself one with rewards in you're quids in lol
    Great minds think alike. I do the same.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you have to hand the extra points back if it happened? Also.... if people are buying from Homebase et al the deliveries of this stuff has to be going somewhere? Surely there's your culprit or am I missing something here? And if you're 1 day late with Blockbusters they hunt you down for those extra quids! so how come they can't find who and where these cards are being fraudulently used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 317174
    Would you have to hand the extra points back if it happened? Also.... if people are buying from Homebase et al the deliveries of this stuff has to be going somewhere? Surely there's your culprit or am I missing something here? And if you're 1 day late with Blockbusters they hunt you down for those extra quids! so how come they can't find who and where these cards are being fraudulently used?
    Last time it was 2 largish amounts through a large department store that is never knowingly undersold! They delivered both orders to their home address. John Lewis wouldn't tell me where or what name. You don't ever get to hear what happens when they investigate.

Have to say though I'm very impressed with Sainsburys credit card, cancelled at about 9.30 on Monday night, new cards this lunch time in the post. That's service for you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12