Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to learn today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys and girls,

I know I am a newbie on this forum, and have only just arrived. However I have been trawling through the posts on this Photographic group, and noticed a lot of people like to learn from others and improve on what they know. It looks like the community works as it should work and how it was intended when it was created.

I was intrigued by a few people wanting to know how I created a black and white image, and how it had so much depth.

Is there anything that anyone can assist you with photography wise? What would you like to know how to do?

I am not a professional photographer, however I have assisted at shoots, and also have experience in a number of areas of photography. So if you need help, and I can assist, I will try and help.
    Cj.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some very basic questions. :spring:

I tend to take photos that don't center the subject well. I think about it, I think I have the subject centered, but then I end up with off centered people, or (my most annoying) people cut off a the knees, waist... whatever.

So, what are the simple (just like I'm a four year old now, ok, well maybe 6 year old) basic of taking a decent shot.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink,

I think a picture composition is down to interpretation. There are many different ways to make an image frame better, but what I like, you may not like and visa versa. Here are my thoughts.

Rule of thirds first of all helps. Think of your image having 2 x 3 grids. 1 row for horizontal, and 1 row verticals. You can put something in all of them, or you can have a number of the grid space vacant. It is all down to personal choice.

Secondly, if you are struggling with the framing of the shot try this. Frame the shot first with your hands, by putting your thumb of your right hand on tip of your index finger and the same with the left thumb on the other index finger. It will frame the shot, so you can see what it looks like and if it looks rubbish, change it.

Lastly, what may not look good after shot with the image, can be changed as you can crop the image down, so always take the image a lot wider, and tighten the crop with an image editing program. Sometimes what may look bad can be rescued with a nice crop.

I hope this helps.
    Cj.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure does give me a place to start.

Another problem I have is that "real life things" (say a flowering plant) come out looking one dimensional. I end up with flat looking tops of plants, or shots of one side of the pot. Is that making any sense? The photo never looks as good as what I am seeing.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it gives you somewhere to begin.

Most images look flat due to the way they are edited. It is all based on lighting that causes the image to stand out and hit you. Most shots are improved by increasing the contrast slightly, so it allows it to have a bit of depth. Use it sparingly though.
    Cj.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cj what sort of kit do you have?.
    wDisneySecrets.com Ticker

Post Thanks / Like
    Heya,
    My kit list looks like this....

Camera Bodies
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EOS 350D

Lenses
    Canon 24-105mm F4 L Lens
    Canon 70-200mm F4 L Lens
    Canon 50mm Mk II F1.8 Lens
    Canon 20mm F2.8 Lens
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens

Flash Guns
    Canon Speedlight 580 EX ii + Canon Wireless Transmitter

Studio Lighting
    2 x Bowens 500W flash heads
    Lots of accessories for it (Snoot, Softbox and Beauty Dish)
    Numerous Reflectors

Computers
    20 inch iMac 2.1Ghz
    Macbook 2.0Ghz

Plus a few other bits and pieces, especially Crumpler bags.
    Cj.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lighting. That is always a serious challenge. I either have too much, or not enough. I have glare off of something shiny that I didn't notice...

I really love beautiful photos and have been trying to become a better photographer, but don't seem to put enough time in it.

Thanks so much for your patience! I'm sure there are others here who have much better questions to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Cj some serious kit you have there.

Here is what i have at the mo.

Canon 40D.
    Canon powershot S5 IS bridging camara.

Lenses..........
    Canon 100-400 L glass.
    Canon 100mm macro lens.
    Canon nifty fifty f4.

Light weight lenses.
    Canon 75-300 IS
    Tamron 55-200.
    Set of Jessops close up rings.
    2X teleplus converter.
    And of course the kit lens 18-55.
    wDisneySecrets.com Ticker

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink,
    No problem, if I can help, then I will. As I type this I am trying to code a website that should allow a few lighting tutorials to be added, but firstly I need a working layout.

If you get glare and stuff, easy fix for that, get yourself a lens hood for your lens, and then shoot slightly off to the sun. It will allow the glare to be erased.

Magical Moments,
    Impressive kit. The Canon 100-400mm is a bit bulky, but gives nice imagery. I used one at Chester Zoo. I quite like my Canon 24-105mm the best. It is always attached to the Canon 30D.

Oh I forgot to mention all my lenses have Pro Hoya filters to protect the glass.
    Cj.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast