Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackfish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 317598
    I must admit I haven't really seen much about the incident since it happened. I guess we'll see what happens when it comes out, when is it btw?
    now I think but only about 10 cinemas are taking it (for obvious reasons I guess)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    http://blackfishmovie.com/screenings

Its out to buy the 26th I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    We're not doing Sea World this trip. The park has become stale for us, nothing really new - the same Sea Lion and Otter show for 10 years. But also, I'm having an increasing moral dilemma about the whole animals in captivity thing. The Orca is not an endangered species so why we need to keep it in captivity soley for human entertainment concerns me. We don't need to have these animals in small tanks. They roam thousands of miles in the wild, even the huge tank at Sea World is tiny for their natural instincts. If I was locked in my bathroom for 20 years I'd get a bit cranky and lash out. It's troubling me more and more these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 317612
    We're not doing Sea World this trip. The park has become stale for us, nothing really new - the same Sea Lion and Otter show for 10 years. But also, I'm having an increasing moral dilemma about the whole animals in captivity thing. The Orca is not an endangered species so why we need to keep it in captivity soley for human entertainment concerns me. We don't need to have these animals in small tanks. They roam thousands of miles in the wild, even the huge tank at Sea World is tiny for their natural instincts. If I was locked in my bathroom for 20 years I'd get a bit cranky and lash out. It's troubling me more and more these days.
    I agree, however surely the same applies to places like Animal Kingdom too?

A lot of the animals they have on 'show' are ones that roam for miles and miles, Disney do a good job of making their habitat as natural as possible but still it must have an effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo, post: 317640
    I agree, however surely the same applies to places like Animal Kingdom too?

A lot of the animals they have on 'show' are ones that roam for miles and miles, Disney do a good job of making their habitat as natural as possible but still it must have an effect.
    It's very difficult indeed isn't it?

To some folks it's very black and white. No animals in captivity ever but then does a wildlife sanctuary count? is the difference between that and an animal kingdom the amount of space?

I think where I'm getting to is that, largely because of the natural habitat/space/size argument, some animals may well live their lives in an animal kingdom very happily but for others, the space will be minute compared to their natural habitat. I guess it's then we have to think if it's better to let nature take its course in the wild than risk unhappy animals. You'd have to think whales would be the latter case :/ seems pretty impossible to ever replicate a sufficient man made environment for them.

I think another of my personal questions would be are we doing this genuinely for the animal or for ourselves. If an animal is destined by nature to become extinct, and we save them by sticking some in a cage, is that really beneficial to the animals or are we keeping them in an unnatural situation so we can see them :/

It's an incredibly hard situation but incredibly important too
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    In the extreme you could say that animals shouldn't be pets either, they've been bred specifically for that purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    But there's a fundamental difference between a domesticated dog and a wolf.

It's a real dilemma. I did a behind the scenes thing at Marwell Zoo last year and asked a keeper what was the rarest animal they had in the zoo. Reply "we have a herd of Scimitar Oryx which are extinct in the wild." So if it wasn't for zoos and wildlife parks these animals would be gone.

I don't know why but the Sea World type places make me more uncomfortable than a zoo like Marwell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course there are fundamental differences between domesticated and wild animals but the fact remains that at some point humans have domesticated wild animals for their own needs. I'm not saying its wrong but ultimately at some point those animals were deprived of their freedom.

I am having a hard time with my conscience with places like seaworld too. The pools look too small etc etc. However with thr existing animals there you could argue that training and displays provide enrichment rather than them just swimming round a small pool all day. Should they be breeding more killer whales to keep in captivity? Probably not, I believe there is enough information already collected and the BBC proved earlier this year that you can observe these wonderful creatures in the wild and learn lots about their behaviours in the process. The question is should we think this about all animals in zoos etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think SeaWorld has gone downhill a lot. We went last year and I can't say I would rush back anytime soon.

The only thing that would worry me is that if SeaWorld was to release the whales and dolphins, then they wouldn't survive in the wild, they have been in captivity for so long and some of them know no difference as they were born in captivity.

Do I agree with it, I'm torn, some places truly do have the animals welfare at heart and have managed to increase the population of animals that are about to become instinct, but they have done it in a way that they aren't reliant upon humans and they can be released into the wild.

Busch Gardens is a terrible place and you can see how bad the animals are treated, I haven't been back since I was upset by the swaying elephants, they broke my heart, their animal welfare is terrible, they should be forced to close the animal side of the park.

SeaWorld and Busch are sister companies and I think they talk the talk, but no-one truly knows what goes on behind the scenes - do I think they have the welfare of the animals first and foremost - no I don't I think it's all about profit from guests to the grants they get.

I'll be interested to see this film

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that Busch gardens had that reputation, glad I haven't been now. I feel really bad for that polar bear at SW pacing up and down

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast