Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Disney Cruise Line Relaxes Dress Code for Guests

  1. #1
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    21,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disney Cruise Line has relaxed their dress code in their main dining rooms aboard all of DCL ships.

    Guests were previously advised that they were not allowed to wear shorts, swimwear or tank tops, but this didn't seem to matter as the majority of Guests used this opportunity to dress up a little for dinner, with dresses or nice pants for women and slacks for men.

    The new policy states that shorts, jeans, khakis and capris are now permitted, but Guests are still asked not to wear swimwear or tank tops.

    Disney Cruise Line also features themed nights where Guests dress like pirates or in tropical attire, as well as a Formal Night.

    A stricter dress code will still apply for Palo and Remy, the adults-only restaurants on the ships and Guests will not be allowed to wear shorts..

    Do you think this is a good idea or a move in the wrong direction?









    If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne



    A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

  2. #2
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 317973
    Do you think this is a good idea or a move in the wrong direction?
    Well I still haven't tried a cruise and every time I talk to people who haven't been, they cite being worried about "having to dress up" for meals as a reason not to go :/ so I can completely see where Disney are coming from.

    However personally, my idea of a cruise IS dressing up a bit for dinner and I'd look forward to the formal evenings too! Why everything has to be dumbed down all the time I don't know :( the problem is, once they slide a little on the requirements, it isn't long before people push it further and further.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    15,470
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should have formal nights where you have to dress up but casual is fine on other nights. I don't think it should be swimwear though. I enjoyed dressing up on our mini cruise but wouldn't want to do it every night.















  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 317978
    However personally, my idea of a cruise IS dressing up a bit for dinner and I'd look forward to the formal evenings too! Why everything has to be dumbed down all the time I don't know :( the problem is, once they slide a little on the requirements, it isn't long before people push it further and further.
    Totally agree with those comments.
    Surely it`s not too much to ask that folks make just a bit of effort at times. I can envisage folks turning up for dinner in the clothes they have been wearing all day on excursions etc. which is something that I would never do. In fact I would feel very self concious if I did it.





  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 317978
    Well I still haven't tried a cruise and every time I talk to people who haven't been, they cite being worried about "having to dress up" for meals as a reason not to go :/ so I can completely see where Disney are coming from.

    However personally, my idea of a cruise IS dressing up a bit for dinner and I'd look forward to the formal evenings too! Why everything has to be dumbed down all the time I don't know :( the problem is, once they slide a little on the requirements, it isn't long before people push it further and further.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 317986
    Totally agree with those comments.
    Surely it`s not too much to ask that folks make just a bit of effort at times. I can envisage folks turning up for dinner in the clothes they have been wearing all day on excursions etc. which is something that I would never do. In fact I would feel very self concious if I did it.
    Absolutely.

    It wasn't all that strict to begin with. Except for formal nights, I've always worn some nice slacks and a polo type shirt. Dressing for dinner is part of the charm of a cruise. If you want to wear shorts, capris, or swimwear, go eat in Goofy's Galley (on the Magic). Stay out of the main restaurants. You won't starve.

    Tom (... old fashioned? Who? Me?)

  6. #6
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,754
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 318024
    It wasn't all that strict to begin with. Except for formal nights, I've always worn some nice slacks and a polo type shirt. Dressing for dinner is part of the charm of a cruise. If you want to wear shorts, capris, or swimwear, go eat in Goofy's Galley (on the Magic). Stay out of the main restaurants. You won't starve.

    Tom (... old fashioned? Who? Me?)
    Absolutely agree Tom! It may be old fashioned, I don't know, but that doesn't make it wrong ;-)

    If anyone is unfortunate enough to meet me for dinner, be it on a cruise or on dry land, I promise I'll have showered and changed before I get there and I really don't think that's some terrible obligation, it's just, well, normal :/
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  7. #7
    Senior Member uscwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,147
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I don't think that shorts or jeans belong in one of the dining rooms. Capri's are fine for the ladies as long as they don't look like shorts. And I'm a bit mystified by the term Khakis? There are many styles of men's khakis. I personally wear slacks and a polo shirt to dinner and, regardless of what we have been doing during the day we normally shower before dinner. I like the formal nights but they could set aside one dining room during the formal night that would be used for those who do not care to dress up.





    My Facebook Profile: Facebook

    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix



  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    16,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 318024
    Absolutely.

    It wasn't all that strict to begin with. Except for formal nights, I've always worn some nice slacks and a polo type shirt. Dressing for dinner is part of the charm of a cruise. If you want to wear shorts, capris, or swimwear, go eat in Goofy's Galley (on the Magic). Stay out of the main restaurants. You won't starve.

    Tom (... old fashioned? Who? Me?)
    I thought that's the way cruises are to begin with. That if you didn't want to dress up then you ate at one of the buffets.

    Personally, I wouldn't want to pack a ball gown and dress up in that to eat dinner. But I would be fully prepared up not eat the restaurant that did this.

    We don't go to a lot of signature restaurants at WDW due to the fact that I have no desire to get dressed up and go back out in the heat and humidity to eat.












    I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 318051
    I thought that's the way cruises are to begin with. That if you didn't want to dress up then you ate at one of the buffets.

    Personally, I wouldn't want to pack a ball gown and dress up in that to eat dinner. But I would be fully prepared up not eat the restaurant that did this.

    We don't go to a lot of signature restaurants at WDW due to the fact that I have no desire to get dressed up and go back out in the heat and humidity to eat.
    In all honesty Johnie, on the DCL cruises there is only one "formal night" when the majority of folks do make the effort to "dress up" if only for having photos taken with the Captain etc. [I leave a tuxedo in our villa just for this! ]
    On the longer cruises [7 days or more], they normally have a "Semi Formal" evening which to be honest is not a lot different than most evenings in that "smart casual" attire is fine.

    There would be no need for you to pack a ball gown at all unless you want to make a splash on the formal evening, and I`ve yet to see anyone turned away from any of the restaurants by being "improperly" dressed.
    After all DCL do understand that their clients are on vacation after all.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •