Thread: Tropical storms

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just looked at the forcast on the weather channel site and there is no sign of storms for at least next week good news

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good site to check is http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished an email with a buddy at NASA...seems like a possible culprit might be the increased dust activity off Africa. When the SAL (Saharan Air Layer) gets active storms in the Atlantic have a tough time forming.

He sent me this link:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...=iotd_readmore
    Sorry about the size of the link! Sheesh! Some interesting images of the dust events this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 319163
    Just finished an email with a buddy at NASA...seems like a possible culprit might be the increased dust activity off Africa. When the SAL (Saharan Air Layer) gets active storms in the Atlantic have a tough time forming.

He sent me this link:

Sorry about the size of the link! Sheesh! Some interesting images of the dust events this week.
    Let's hear it for dust!!!

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 319163

He sent me this link:

Those are like some serious dust plumes!

Judging by the looks of the one taken on 8/2, I'll let you know how they taste sometime around the 17th.

Tom (... ... soon. Very soon.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to the effects of the dust. I'm focusing on the fact that it's holding hurricanes at bay. That is a good thing (I hope).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    You just might taste it Tom....it is and has been a part of the Earth system but we are finding out that it is really important. I was on several NASA sponsored trips to Puerto Rico and here in the Shenandoah National Park to study the effects and train teachers on climate change.

We get Asian dust as well all the way from China.

We learn something new all the time about the causes of the storms and the effects upon the Earth system.

Like it tastes bad....

Dust events were even recoreded on the voyages of the Beagle with Darwin. So it has been with us a while.