Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: car hire insurances, what's needed?

  1. #1
    hiya

    Im trying to book our car hire and getting confused about all the insurances and extras because I want to make sure Im convered but not conned or sold loads of extras

    do I need the extra fuel?

    what about the extra breakdown cover, if I don't take that what happens if we break down, do we have to pay for a tow truck?

  2. #2
    The only thing I ever take is the feature that allows you to bring the car back on empty. It's very convenient and I'm not stuck paying for exorbitantly priced gas near the rental shops. I have full coverage for rentals on my personal policy and that's all I need. With regard to breakdown, I've never had that happen, but if it did I'd be calling the rental place and raising serious Cain. They'd be sending me a new car, and taking care of their wreck on their own dime! :mad:

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In the red...
    Posts
    14,386
    I don't know if you are UK based or not but...we prepay the platinum insurance with Alamo - that covers everything plus extra drivers which we need. They may try and sell "extra" breakdown cover at the desk but stand firm, you have all the cover you need in that package. And seriously, you don't need a sat nav if you are staying in the Disney/Universal/Sea World area. There are signs every three inches.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wishonastar, post: 319473, member: 417
    hiya

    Im trying to book our car hire and getting confused about all the insurances and extras because I want to make sure Im convered but not conned or sold loads of extras

    do I need the extra fuel?

    what about the extra breakdown cover, if I don't take that what happens if we break down, do we have to pay for a tow truck?
    I had the same panic last night she. I was printing my voucher. I have always got it through the agency I work for but this year I decided to do it myself. I still don't know all the policy details and after having fsa legislation shoved down my thought through work it worries me quite a bit. I have no clue what the excess on the policy I have is and I can not find it anywhere in alamos website.

  5. #5
    we go for the highest one minus the satnav so covers a tank of fuel and extra drivers. You are covered for breakdown but not for problems with tyres or damage to the underneath - i'm guessing in an accident you'd be ok. I don't think there's any excess when i've gone with dollar.














  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 319734, member: 39
    we go for the highest one minus the satnav so covers a tank of fuel and extra drivers. You are covered for breakdown but not for problems with tyres or damage to the underneath - i'm guessing in an accident you'd be ok. I don't think there's any excess when i've gone with dollar.
    I know mine covers tyres but not the tank of fuel. I am considering paying for that when I arrive

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishypops, post: 319738, member: 4851
    I know mine covers tyres but not the tank of fuel. I am considering paying for that when I arrive
    really? mmmm I wish they would just do a Brit no worry package that covered everything! it's a con really














  8. #8
    Administrator Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Neverland
    Posts
    26,758
    At the desk they will try and sell you the extra insurance for tyres and windscreen. According to the guy in the garage, it was all included with Dollar's insurance up until about 4 years ago and now it is an additional option.

    I agree Julie there should be an all include option for the UK. The only company that I know that includes the tyre etc insurance is Virgin with Alamo.












  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 319800, member: 46
    At the desk they will try and sell you the extra insurance for tyres and windscreen. According to the guy in the garage, it was all included with Dollar's insurance up until about 4 years ago and now it is an additional option.

    I agree Julie there should be an all include option for the UK. The only company that I know that includes the tyre etc insurance is Virgin with Alamo.
    Alamo/Brit do too because that's who I booked through

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •